• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My Workflow

Dave New

Gary, thanks for the info.

I have a couple of questions:

1) I tried to get a one-to-one correspondence between the various directory folders and the steps in the process, and failed. I guess it would be nice, somehow, to line up the steps with the various folders, showing input/output relationships (source/destination, if you will). Maybe not doable, in light of the three devices involved (portable storage device, laptop, server). I'm not sure if the entire directory structure is mirrored from laptop to server or not. Maybe I missed something there.

2) You must have more detailed instructions than just this sheet, or else you are remembering a lot of detail in your head. For instance, I tried to find the step on the left side that created the contact sheets shown in the directory structure, and failed. Is this something done during the web page generation scripts from iView?

I could see where this might be a good start, but still confusing to hand to a team member, that wasn't already familiar with your process. At the least, I would have to have a set of input/process/output steps, where the source, tool(s), and destination are specified, in order to get a documented, repeateable process.

Sorry, it's my engineering background (and familiarity with CMMI, etc) coming through...

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Thanks for that Gary,
very interesting.... mine is almost the same until item 3.9! then mine is a bit different as we don't have the same end use for our images.

Obviously this should be adapted by each photographer and print as a poster somewhere in the studio!

A professional approach that, when all technical poinst are set, will bring peace of mind, ready for creativity...

Kudos

Gary Yelland

pro member
Explain

Its not supposed to be a tutorial its just what I use,
you could do lots with it to be more clear,
but I will leave that for someone else to do.
If it helps some then thats great.

The message I was trying to give, was try to produce a repeatable process that suits you and your style. I think every persons workflow should be different and tailored to your own needs.
This is mine and it works for me,
So whats does everyone else do ????

I do copy the whole lot onto the server its a mirror.
The contact sheets are automated in photoshop, File - Automate - Contact Sheet II

Hope that clarifies things.

Ray West

Hi Gary,

Thanks for showing this. I guess the best we can do for long term storage is hdd's and raw images, although I think that tiff format may be safer. I am wondereng how you locate particular images, if you don't know the shoot name, for example.

btw, could you turn on the pm facility in your profile.

Best wishes,

Ray

Gary Yelland

pro member
Storage

Turned on the PM still getting used to it.

HDD is good as long as you have 2 copies in independent drives.
Every year I backup all the years new stuff to DVD as well and store this in another location, you never know what might happen.

Yes tiff would be safer in the long run, but I just can part with my raw files, and therefore I would have to double my storage needs which is already at 1.5 terra bytes. So for now I will take the risk and stick with the raw. My view is there are so many converters out there that are not canon propriety, the risk of them all going obsolete is small enough.

The writing will be on the wall, if the camera manufactures start changing the raw formats as often as they change the cameras as a marketing strategy, then we will all the in trouble. shhhhh dont tell them.