• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Anyone lucky enough to find Circada? Please post!!!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well, when they went to sleep, it was 17 years ago, before the internet!

Now there are millions of them with one month to make their 90 DB sound, mate and "get out of Dodge"!

Asher

Hi Asher,

I found this periodical cicada while hiking in the woods on a rainy morning last weekend:

79435157.jpg

It was about 2 inches long.

Asher Kelman

"Shiver me timbers!", that is a huge bug!

Tom, how do you come for this? A lot of your stuff I've seen is man made and getting pulled back to nature: rust, old wooden, abandoned structures!

You'll have to share more of this side of your work. A great picture! Did you happen to spray it?

How fast to they move and how reactive are they?

I know the birds zoom in for a feast! I wonder if they know to escape or just exist in such huge numbers that the losses don't matter!

Asher

Thanks Asher,

Nope, no spraying was required. I found this guy in the middle of a nice late-season rain shower. The water running off the back of my 5D made me a little nervous, but no damage was done, evidently.

The cicada was fresh and lethargic, but even the more mature ones don't expend much energy. Their only goal is to reproduce, which is understandable. If I'd just spent 17 years underground chewing on tree roots, and then had just one month of adult life, I'd have the exact same priority.

At the risk of being off subject, here's a little Fly Bee photographed last summer making a bee line for breakfast:

62392688.jpg

Birds, bugs, buds; it's all good.

Tom

D

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

So is a circada one of those bugs that does something about once a day (i.e., in a circadian way)?

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,

So is a circada one of those bugs that does something about once a day (i.e., in a circadian way)?
It's a group of highly decorated male cicada, trained to sing soprano by a an organist at St Martin's in the Field and knighted by Queen Elizabeth 17 years ago. Actually the derivation is Sir Cadia, but circada for short. These males are sterile, but they have wonderful voices!

Asher

D

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

It's a group of highly decorated male cicada, trained to sing soprano by a an organist at St Martin's in the Field and knighted by Queen Elizabeth 17 years ago. Actually the derivation is Sir Cadia, but circada for short. These males are sterile, but they have wonderful voices!

It sounds really quite loverly!

Best regards,

Doug