• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Grandfather Supports future generations!

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
VX8Y0675PSCSac.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

What, Not even a snide cimment after 24 hrs.
OK Will, I'll bite ;-).

I like the idea of portraying the three generations in a creative way like this, well done.

I assume that the "son" in the middle is sitting on a green camouflaged fence carrying the grandson (as can be seen from the position of his head and neck), whereas the grandather is posing as if he is supporting the other two. All's well, except that the grandfather is not doing his very best here. He should fake a bit harder that he is really carrying the weight of the other two on his shoulders :).

Cheers,

Last edited:

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
Hi Cem,

Actually he is sitting on a square pillar that looks like it was to be part of a fence that was never built.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Challenge: Make the Grandfather look really lifting some 180lb!

OK Will, I'll bite ;-).

I like the idea of portraying the three generations in a creative way like this, well done.

I assume that the "son" in the middle is sitting on a green camouflaged fence carrying the grandson (as can be seen from the position of his head and neck), whereas the grandather is posing as if he is supporting the other two. All's well, except that the grandfather is not doing his very best here. He should fake a bit harder that he is really carrying the weight of the other two on his shoulders :).

Cheers,

Please, someone clone away the fence and change the grandfather's expressionm skin color and posture to make it believable!

Asher

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
Asher there is no fence, That is the top of a retaining wall that is overgrown with ice plant 5-10 feet behind them!

Here is another one from that shoot that shows that dreamy look you can get with the 85 f1.2 wide open.

VX8Y0481PSCSac.jpg

1DsMKII 85-mm ISO 100 640th sec. at f1.2

Will why don't you photograph them with the grandson holding the father that is holding the grandfather ?

Nice bouquet for the last one. I have the Nikkor 85mm f:1.8 and is my favorite lens, but f1.2 !

I think that I would process the RAW with more warm white point than that. Have you noticed how most of the portrait done by Annie Leibowitz have that deep warm light?

Asher Kelman

Will,

The boy is great, the color sucks! This is a fellow screwed up with the end of the day color change, pushing the light by vusing an f1.2 lens when the kid should have been in bed.

People look better at sunset. This kid doesnt. He is blue! aslo there is a lot of noise especially in the red and blue channels. The red channel is blown!

So, why don't you repost this in Retouching after checking with Tim Armes? This is a challenge. You's have to supply the RAW image.

Asher

Zach Jacob

Will,

The boy is great, the color sucks! This is a fellow screwed up with the end of the day color change, pushing the light by vusing an f1.2 lens when the kid should have been in bed.

People look better at sunset. This kid doesnt. He is blue! aslo there is a lot of noise especially in the red and blue channels. The red channel is blown!

So, why don't you repost this in Retouching after checking with Tim Armes? This is a challenge. You's have to supply the RAW image.

Asher

Asher,

I don't think you really need the RAW image to do some basic color correction. This may not be ideal, but it's a good deal better than the original, and this was just some color balance work in Photoshop....

colorcorrection.jpg

Asher Kelman

Asher,

I don't think you really need the RAW image to do some basic color correction. This may not be ideal, but it's a good deal better than the original, and this was just some color balance work in Photoshop....

Of course Zach! However we like to have images to put through competing RAW process. :)

Asher

Zach Jacob

I see. I don't usually shoot RAW unless I'm someplace I'm completely unfamiliar with or in particularly challenging circumstances, so I've gotten rather proficient at making acceptable images out of unacceptable jpgs. :)