• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The wonders of nature

I was torn whether to post this in the nature and wildlife section, macro, or even to post it at all. I flipped a coin and this is where it landed. I sure hope a little levity is allowed here. If not, I am truly sorry and you can delete with my blessing.

I was extremely lucky and fortunate to have captured one of the world's rarest of creatures last weekend while stalking the vast expanses of a local WalMart Nature Preserve. It is one of the nicest examples of the Homer Chia that I have ever laid my eyes upon. Naturally I had to have it. I could see that it was full of eggs and just about ready to spawn so I took it home as fast as I possibly could and set up its nursery. I wanted to capture the entire series of events leading to the birth and share the images with you, my fellow nature and macro photography enthusiasts.
I did not get home in time to take the first image of just the smooth, rounded head of the very pregnant Papa Chia. As you know, the male Chia carries the eggs inside its head and then, every 17 years, the head splits open and the eggs migrate out and form a smooth symetrical layer of baby Chia embryos around the outside of the now dead father's skull. Well by the time I had gotten back home the skull splitting and migration of the eggs had already occurred. I was a little upset but I was still able to get these images. The first is a full frontal view of the male Chia, head split wide open, and eggs already assembled in their normal symetrical marching band like formation. They will stay in this formation, huddling close to each other for warmth, until finally all of them are able to chew their way through their hardening egg shells into the light and their freedom. It is surely an awe inspiring spectacle that we should all be thankful that we are going to get to see. The second image is a closeup of the egg hole that was split in the skull and the last of the eggs still making their way out. You can actually see a few of them already trying to chew their way out of their captive state. They have an egg tooth, much like a baby Iguana, that they use to chew through the rubbery membrainous shell structure. I'm so excited. I feel like a giddy little school girl again. I really hope you enjoy the show. I have to work today but I have my camera setup on timer and will be taking new images every 3 minutes. I don't want us to miss anything. It will be so amazing to see them all bust out of their shells and start their climb to freedom. The life expectancy, before reverting back into their hibernative state for another 17 years, is only 3 to 4 weeks so we have only about a month to enjoy and absorb this wonder of nature. Ladies and gentlepeople, I give you the magnificent CHIA.

DSC_7624.jpg

DSC_7630.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
James,

• Humor........................................................9.5
  • Identification of Homer................................4
  • Picture of Homer........................................ 8.2
  • Embryo delusion........................................-2.5
  • Dish, symbolizing Noah's ark.......................................... priceless!

Asher

Just wanted to give you a quick update. I know everyone has been waiting breathlessly for developments. He is starting to look a little like Ludwig von B.
DSC_8027.jpg

James,

Yes, I was losing sleep wondering how this would turn out. Excellent use of available light. It brought out a quality in Homer's eyes that might be described as...Freudian, maybe. Further analysis will have to wait until I can consult an analyst.

Are you planning keeping everyone abreast of changes as Homer drifts into his golden years?