• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Ligthroom, a Mac, a Canon and an Apple Remote

Tim Armes

Hi all,

I'm really not sure where I should be posting this. It belongs in a "Studio" or "Still life" forum, but we don't have either of those. Since I'm currently taking photos of a poppy, this place seemed as good as any to describe my discovery...

This is a useful technique for Mac-owning-Canon-still-life-shooters who what to be able to take their photos using the Apple remote control from across the room from their Mac and still have the picture pop up on the screen via a tethered link. This may therefore not interest everyone :)

Here's the technique for those who wish to do so:

1) Enable Auto-Import in Lightroom and choose a Watched folder
2) Install Canon's EOS Utility so as to be able to remotely control the camera
3) Configure EOS Utility to place photos taken into the folder chosen above

At this stage, you should now be able to take a shot via EOS Utility and see it pop up in LR.

4) Download and install the freeware Proxi to allow "programmation" of the Apple remote control
5) Download the Apple Remote BluePrint (not the AirClick one)
6) Drag the BluePrint into Proxi's trigger pane

There are 2 Canon control applications, EOS Control and EOS Utility. The BluePrint doesn't know this. If you're using EOS Utility then do the following:

7) Open the new trigger and click in the tasks pane. In the filters section, either change the name to EOS Utility or add a new filter so that either EOS Control or EOS Utility can be used.

You can now activate EOS Utility and press the play button on the remote to take a photo.

I've gone even further and created a blueprint that will work when Lightroom is the active application. Pressing play will activate EOS Utility, take the shot, then return to Lightroom. This allows me to use Lightroom in full screen mode and still remotely control the camera.

Hopefully this'll be interesting for someone...

Tim

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is a super desctiption!

Tim you're a prince for sharing this and a wonder for stitching the chain of connections.

Don't you need to alter the focus or composition?

How about bracketing of focus or stepping through focus?

Asher

Tim Armes

Focussing is done whilst working with the camera, which is why it's then nice to be able to control the shutter from a distance from the computer....

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Yes, Tim, one might do it that way then very nicely.

Still, could one also change focus so as to build an in depth model of the object or in some cases, account for movement?

Asher