• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Garrapata Beach, IR Color

JimCollum

pro member
L1012422-ir.jpg

L1012414-ir.jpg

720nm IR filter, 50mm Sonnar. Taken at dawn, minus tide

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Jim,

This is interesting, a whole different look. I thought this taken with a Betterlight Scanning Back? I then wondered why it did not have the look of such a wide angle. I was flummexed. Had you posted this under Rangefinder, I'd have not been so surprised! Bresson would approve! Still, I'd have loved the extra width of a 28mm as that's the only one I have had the opportunity to use with this special camera and I find it great for landscape as well as people.

I looked at the file and it can be easily enlarged 200% so it's robust. Finally, the EXIF revealed you used a Leica M8 at at ISO 160 with an 8 sec exposure! That explains things!

I would love to have seen these views myself. I wonder whether or not you also captured full color at the same time? It would be edicational to be able to compare the effects.

What aperture did you use, if you remember?

Also how do you print these?

Thanks for sharing! This sort of image is really great for us to see.

Asher

JimCollum

pro member
I used the Zeiss Sonnar-C 50mm 1.5.. shot at f11.

here is the full color image shot moments after the IR shot

L1012415.jpg

This is part of a new series i've started.. as far as printing.. haven't reached a final decision on that yet.. I'm not sure the Pt over pigment will be the right process for this series.

Hi Jim,

This is interesting, a whole different look. I thought this taken with a Betterlight Scanning Back? I then wondered why it did not have the look of such a wide angle. I was flummexed. Had you posted this under Rangefinder, I'd have not been so surprised! Bresson would approve! Still, I'd have loved the extra width of a 28mm as that's the only one I have had the opportunity to use with this special camera and I find it great for landscape as well as people.

I looked at the file and it can be easily enlarged 200% so it's robust. Finally, the EXIF revealed you used a Leica M8 at at ISO 160 with an 8 sec exposure! That explains things!

I would love to have seen these views myself. I wonder whether or not you also captured full color at the same time? It would be edicational to be able to compare the effects.

What aperture did you use, if you remember?

Also how do you print these?

Thanks for sharing! This sort of image is really great for us to see.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Hi Jim,

Would you consider doing this on a high gloss paper as a platinum print, or is that not easy?

Asher

JimCollum

pro member
getting Pt to coat onto a glossy substrate is very difficult. It can be done on fixed glossy silver paper, but requires multiple coats done at varying temperatures (room temp, followed by a heated coat). That will give a Platinum print.. but doesn't allow for any color.. inkjet pigments won't adhere to the fixed silver paper.

Hi Jim,

Would you consider doing this on a high gloss paper as a platinum print, or is that not easy?

Asher

JimCollum

pro member
One of the tricks to actually getting color with the IR filter, is to take the image before the sun comes up over the horizon.. and overcast weather helps a lot. As the sun comes out, and objects warm up, the color becomes secondary to the actual IR coming from the objects. This is for IR filters in the 720-780nm range. the lower the cutoff, the more actual color will be captured. I also use an Expo-disc to white balance with the IR filter on the lens

Asher Kelman

Thiks is great, Jim!

This thread of yours reminds me of David's here . We get more and more and whole "world" is created for us. This is one of the great things about photography, the ability to create and present to us packages of vicarious pleasure!

Asher