• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Can anyone locate this? New Sabdes: "What the sea wants, the sea gets"!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Problem, I lost my favorite yacht while I was searching for a decent cup of tea!

sabdes%2070m.jpg

"The name says it all! The newest Sabdes concept comes in the form of a striking 70 metre 230') Megayacht that has no qualms about making its presence known the world over. It is proposed with sports car red livery, speeds of 25+ knots, and accomodation for up to 12 exclusive guests. Other features include stowage for a 3-person mini-submarine, a helicopter landing pad, lap and spa pools, scuba diving facilities, a ‘float-in-dock’ for the Guest Tender, an observation deck and sea-level gymnasium."

"Based on an earlier (2002) Sabdes design, the new 70 metre is suitable for use as both a private MegaYacht or in a Share-Owner capacity. A third scenario sees a series of 6 yachts built for operation in the form of club membership with the vessels operating simultaneously, each in a different region of the world."

O.K., I lied! I just would love someone to lacate and photograph this beauty.

Asher

P.S. I found the little beauty here.

Asher Kelman

Hi Nicolas,

Yes, we're so proud to have our own super-yacht photgrapher and super-photographer-friend be in such a prestigious online Yacht publication. I have such pleasure and boasting rights to see your work there!

Diane,

Did you ever actiually see the $100,000,000 yacht?

trial1_550x366.jpg

Credit: Insensys

trial_550x366.jpg

boat_550x413.jpg

"The Maltese Falcon is said to be the world's fastest personal sailboat. It's owned by Tom Perkins of Kleiner, Perkins Caufield & Byers fame. Note the flag. The ship was built and tested partly in Turkey."
"The Maltese Falcon, a $100 million yacht that the designers claim is the largest and fastest personal sailboat in the world, formally set sail in Italy on July 14. Built for venture capitalist Tom Perkins, the 87.5-meter yacht sports three 57-meter tall masts and each mast has 6 yards from which the sails hang. This design gives it a slight resemblance to a clipper ship.
The masts on the Maltese Falcon rotate to make the ship more aerodynamic. No word on how many cup holders are onboard.

Is this boat one you have been on? How did you hear about it? The prices for charter is not clear to me!

Maltese Falcon
Charter price per week Charter price per week APA
€ 335.000 € 325.000 25 % - 30 %

Which is the charter price? (Also is the decimal place correct. IOW is it just 335 Euro per week!! Seems very cheap! Of course it's not that! I guess in continental Europe they must use a period . instead of a comma , in the USA or the U.K.

335,000 Euro seems awefully high! With a crew of 16 labor costs are high for sure. At $200 per day the min cost for the Turkish crew would be $22,400 for the week. For a $400 per person bed charge, the weeks bedding charge for 12 people might be worth $33,600. So I'd expect the cost for the week would be more like $100,000 total. So this ship seems very very expensive.

OTOH, for a 100 million dollar boat, the interest alone is some $100,000 per week! So for a boat that will not be rented a lot, I guess the price gets up there!

I guess if one has to do this calculation, then this is not your vacation! :)

Asher

Last edited:

Diane Fields

I"ve just read about it and seen photos. There was an interesting article about it in Newsweek this past week-there seemed to be a lot of controversy about it being built in Turkey, but the idea of the sails were what I found interesting. Amazing what money can buy---or have built LOL.

Diane

Peanuts. <grins>

How about the Hull 6154 at estimated 280 Million USD expected to start cruising at 2010.

The world's most expensive privately-owned yacht is being built in Genoa, Italy. Known only as 'Hull 6154', the yacht measures 438ft, with seven decks, two helicopter pads and storage space for a submarine, and boasts a record-breaking price tag of £140 million. Its 60-strong crew will entertain guests in 15 state rooms fitted with the latest entertainment systems, gold and marble bathroom fittings and Jacuzzis. And if guests grow tired of the onboard delights, they can explore further afield using one of the yacht's five jet-skis or two speed boats.

However, something which would be much more my cup of tea than these ridiculous playboy liners for people who's first profession is being born rich, are the most extrem "Ocean Limo" designs <grins> and they go to Craig Loomes in my view.

1_wave_32_col_cropped.gif

http://www.cld.co.nz/earthrace.htm

http://www.cld.co.nz/tri_20m.htm
[/QUOTE]

Political aspects of this post moved to "uptown"! :) Keep it light here please! Asher

Michael Fontana

pro member
............ for 12 people might be worth $33,600. So I'd expect the cost for the week would be more like $100,000 total. So this ship seems very very expensive.
I guess if one has to do this calculation, then this is not your vacation! :)
Asher

I agree, Asher, but don't forget the cost for beeing able to edit your pictures at night:

Bon_20Pigall_20ROV_20room_small1.jpg

As for the rest, look at http://www.wally.com/

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
But it is not the fastest "personnal" yacht (BTW this means nothing...)

look this 3 pictures, shot witha delay of about 1 minute (I'll have to dig the Exif when I'll be at my office, but that's about that):

_G8A5488.jpg

_G8A5492.jpg

_G8A5501.jpg

The sailboat that pass so easily Maltese Falcon, wears the #8 on its sails, it is an old J class named MoonBeam... and launched in 1914!more info on this magnificent boat

Ray West

Hi Nicolas,

about 40 years ago, I knew a guy who designed a vessel, I thought he called it 'plane sail' (I've googled but can't find). I think he had patents on some parts of the design. It had solid aerofoil section sail, on a rotating mast - plenty of fibreglass, iirc. You know anything about it? I think it was pretty quick in light winds. I do not recollect how the sail was furled, maybe the whole mast was lowered. The 'maltese falcon' sort of reminded me, which as a square rigger will not be too fast, but I guess it was not built for speed.

Best wishes,

Ray

Asher Kelman

Nicolas,

I am pleased that our resident nautical photographer did his job with the Maltese Falcon. #8 has a lot of sail for the size of boat but the design allows a lot of fast adjustment with less effort I'd imagine. The Maltese Falcon, I guess must have motorized winches!

Asher

nicolas claris

Hi Ray
There have been so many boats within the last 40 years with eaerofoil on rotating mast, and those who survived their launching were pretty fast!

Another strange but working rig was Commandant Cousteau's second research vessel Alcyone:
zoom_among_waves.jpg

You'll get some infos there
--------------

Though not a yacht, far from that, there is the newly fastest sailboat, 44,81 knots!
298-2.jpg

Posted for editorial information, © Céline Levy ?

Watch the video, IMPRESSIVE!
http://www.hydroptere.com/index.php4?lang=EN

nicolas claris

Nicolas,

I am pleased that our resident nautical photographer did his job with the Maltese Falcon. #8 has a lot of sail for the size of boat but the design allows a lot of fast adjustment with less effort I'd imagine. The Maltese Falcon, I guess must have motorized winches!

Asher

Maltese Falcon all electrical driven lines (sheets etc.) and all computerized data to achieve best sails trim.
Cleverness is in drawing and conception. Navigation is push button

#8 Moonbeam : power: men (plus some more men)
Cleverness is in drawing and conception and… navigation!