• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hi- Introducing Myself

Steve Leenhouts

Hi Everyone,

This is to introduce myself, and publicly state a new personal resolve.

A bit of recent history will tell you where I’m coming from.

I have spent an absurd amount of time over the past few months nitpicking over tech specs, web reviews, MTF charts, user opinions, downloaded PDF user manuals -- the whole lot; trying to decide whether, when and by how much to shift to new cameras/lenses/software. You know the trap. I was lost in “Its-all-about-the-Equipment Land”— and it was not a pretty sight. I finally did make some purchase decisions. But, in doing so, I had to come to terms with the fact that new gear will not make me a better photographer. A much more important decision was made: to change my outlook, my orientation as an amateur photographer. And to prove that I’m recovering from my wallowing in techie-land, I shall refrain from mentioning (in this post, at least) any of those items of equipment, or any gear previously owned and used. Whew! Got that off my chest.

Let me try to trace the web surfing journey that has led me to this site: a return after more than two years to The Luminous Landscape, a jump over to Beautiful-Landscape, a new subscription to Reid Reviews, beginning to study the wonderful Ben Lifson essays on RawWorkFlow.com, and ending up here.

“Craft the picture!” is my new mantra. I have started downloading thumbs of classical paintings onto my computer (and my cell phone) for contemplation and study. I have rediscovered picture-potential of the neighborhood where I have lived for the last four years – in the heart of Indonesia’s capital city, Jakarta. Pre-dawn wakeups on weekends are back: out the door as sweet light awakens! The feeling is good.

My recent self-evaluation of what I am doing with the camera had led to some thoughts about ‘doing’ photography. One thing that I have noticed is that when I head out onto the street I normally go into a state of picture taking that I call “pretty picture mode” or “interesting shot mode”. In other words, my assumption is that there is a great shot waiting OUT THERE, and my task as a photographer is to be alert, hoping my luck will allow me to find it. Using this approach, a shot may take, at the most, five minutes to execute. I don’t particularly like this way photography, although I have done it for years. Its like a quick fix that doesn't satisfy. I want to change my mode of picture taking. That is why I am attracted to this site.

I wish to adopt an alternate approach that starts with an empty frame, and builds a wonderful picture out of line and mass and shade and color. I want to take my time. I want to build up the image and infuse it somehow with my own meaning. (you see here the first influences of Ben’s essays!)

I need advice on how to ‘practice’. One of my thoughts on this leads me to the idea that I should work with still life in black and white in order to start feeling the elements of composition. Anyway, I had better stop here.

Here are some pictures I took several years ago that I like.

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/2027057-md.jpg
2027057-md.jpg

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/2054945-md.jpg
2054945-md.jpg

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/2027417-md.jpg
2027417-md.jpg

I look forward to participating in the forum.

Thanks for the chance to share this.

Steve Leenhouts

Last edited by a moderator:

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Steve

welcome on board OPF, as we're named, discussions here are opened, even non photographic ones…

Just select or create the appropriate topics in appropriate places.

BTW, I took the liberty for easier viewing to insert your images into your own post. I hope you won't claim!

Doing this is easy, instead of using the URL link function
createlink.gif
use
insertimage.gif

Have a nice day and share even more!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Everyone,

This is to introduce myself, and publicly state a new personal resolve................. A much more important decision was made: to change my outlook, my orientation as an amateur photographer. .......

“Craft the picture!” is my new mantra. I have started downloading thumbs of classical paintings onto my computer (and my cell phone) for contemplation and study. I have rediscovered picture-potential of the neighborhood where I have lived for the last four years – in the heart of Indonesia’s capital city, Jakarta. Pre-dawn wakeups on weekends are back: out the door as sweet light awakens! The feeling is good. .................. In other words, my assumption is that there is a great shot waiting OUT THERE, and my task as a photographer is to be alert, hoping my luck will allow me to find it. Using this approach, a shot may take, at the most, five minutes to execute. I don’t particularly like this way photography, although I have done it for years. Its like a quick fix that doesn't satisfy. I want to change my mode of picture taking. That is why I am attracted to this site.

I wish to adopt an alternate approach that starts with an empty frame, and builds a wonderful picture out of line and mass and shade and color. I want to take my time. I want to build up the image and infuse it somehow with my own meaning. (you see here the first influences of Ben’s essays!)

I need advice on how to ‘practice’. One of my thoughts on this leads me to the idea that I should work with still life in black and white in order to start feeling the elements of composition. Anyway, I had better stop here.

2027417-md.jpg

First Steve, welcome to your new home! Any of these pictures would, on their own interest us.

I believe you might consider going back further. Discard the lens altogether. Just consider composition, tonality, color and shapes that evoke a compelling reaction withing yourself. You have your own measuring instrument, your own brain and heart.

Art requires the artist to experience. Whether or not we get it is secondary.

I'd get a 4x5 camera, (ask Will Thompson for advice. You can get a simple camera for next to nothing on eBay. Or else did out a filom camera. Myself, I've started experimenting with a pinhole camera.

Photography is excluding and stalking. One must move the subject ot yourself so that only what you need is included and it's from the most commanding perspective and in light that gives the tonality which adds the dimensionality hardness to gentleness of your wishes.

Bu leaving behind, for now, the modern and expensive, slowing down and thinking more than clicking, you might gain a new discipline and contact a new part of your own self.

If this is not for you, go use your digital camera. Then decide to take 8 pictures in a session, no more. Plan it, sketch it in your mind, do it.

Ben is bent on the lessons of classic art. Yes, that's a good idea. Walking through Art museums and Art galleries. However, like obsessing about lenses and MTF's, it's you who must experience. You are already qualified. Of course we must continually educate ourselves. However, nothing is written that replaces slow planned imaging.

Anyway, I'd love to see that boat picture taken with a 35mm film, 4x5 or pinhole camera. That's a perfect subject. Add a color filter to bring out the sky and you will make yourself really happy.

Asher