• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Novice Enthusiast

Tim Davey

Hi to every one,

I think I'm probably a novice but enthusiastic photographer who wants to learn and share my experiences of photography.

I started taking photos when I was very young (about 7) but after a long gap of some 23 years, side tracked by a busy career, I have returned to this wonderful pursuit and am rekindling the joy I used to experience just observing the world people and nature, and of course taking lots of photos to capture what I see.

I'm often frustrated with what I create and am often critical of my own work and like so many others I expect I am trying to shoot and then print that photo that makes everyone go wow. I'm a long way off though!!

I'm going to create my own photo website site in the future but in the meantime here are some links to some recent photos I have put up on yahoo.

detail

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ti...detail?.dir=/aed7re2&.dnm=8ec7re2.jpg&.src=ph

detail

detail

detail

detail

detail

Looking forward to getting involved.

Tim..

Tim Davey

Thanks Hilary. Look forward to seeing your photos of the bands. Some great shots on unkphoto.com and wow what a way to earn a living, I'm envious.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Tim,

I'm impressed with your work. Some of it is exceptional. Please find the url of your pictures that ends in .jpg. That's what is needed to post here.

It's so great to be able to see pictures like yours immediately. They are really worth showing and they make a page beautiful! I would like to return to your images down the road and perhaps discuss them.

Just as a matter of social interest, what camera do you use and did you handhold or use a tripod?

Welcome, I'm glad to found us! BTW, how did you get to know about OPF?

Asher

Tim Davey

So nice to be a member of a friendly forum and to talk all about photography.

Up until now I have restricted my audience to friends and family but wanting to improve I realise I need to mingle with like minded people to talk about photography and to help each other.

Heres a bit more information on the kit I use

I'm using a Nikon 70s with the Kit lens at the moment but would love to upgrade to the D200. I do most of my work using a tripod and cable release (I do try to start off a shoot handheld as that speeds up the initial framing).

Processing is done using Nikon Capture NX and at the moment I'm getting to grips with a new Spectraview 1990 monitor and how I should colour calibrate it (posted first thread yesterday). Also using a PC with Vista and so far have been very pleased with the stability etc 4MB Ram (3.57 actually seen I think) makes everthing zip along in Capture Nx.

Printing is at the moment taking a back seat but I'm am researching the best route being conscious of the price of inks and the low volume of prints I probably will be making initially.

My shopping list for the future includes

Nikon 105mm Macro
Nikon 70-200mm
Nikon 12-24mm

Cheers for now

Tim..

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
You are even more welcome!

Tim, all Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, MF, LF, Leica and other camera users get a very special appreciation from us since it makes sure we have a balanced community.

The big thing now is to get your pics posted here as opposed to linked. You don't need a better camera as far as the pictures are concerned unless you are missing features that reallly restrict you. You are talented and just should keep at it. Printing is more important than a new camera generally since that gives you are real sense of what you have done and where you might improve things.

Asher

Tim Davey

My sites for holding photos doesnt allow straight forward links to photos anyone got a good recommendation for a free site for posting photos on?

Last edited:

Ray West

Hi Tim,

If your isp offers free web space, some do, then use that. You don't need to create a site as such.

Best wishes,

Ray

or this is a bit quicker

1128re2.jpg

Tim Davey

Thanks for the reply and kind words Cristiana seems a great forum with lots of friendly people.

Hope you keep posting photos of around the world and maybe from Italy as well. At the moment I'm experimenting by restricting my photography to local areas to see if I can see the beauty in places I normally take for granted. I will try and post some photos up for you all to discuss soon.

Tim Davey

Hi Ray thanks for the reply.

I seem to be able to get links to the photos I have put on Yahoo but they seem to stay as links rather than previewing the photo. I have tried posting the photos to my ftp site but of course they arent scaled at all and so are far too big for easy viewing.

I'm going to research a suitable site for photos or create one myself if thats the cheaper option.

Tim Davey

Finally got some of my photos into a size that I think are more suitable for the web. So here are 4 photos I have taken over the last year.

SunsetClandonDowns.jpg

redtreeatnebo.jpg

SnowdoniaAtNebo.jpg

And finally the one my wife always likes. This cow just stood and watched for some time whilst I was taking shots at a view point south of Snowdonia and she looked so cheeky I thought it was worth a shot. (Not one of my normal subjects).

CowAtNebo.jpg

Let me know what you all think.

Tim..