PDA

View Full Version : purchased 1DMKIII

Paul Bestwick
June 27th, 2007, 08:31 PM
well I now have a 1D MKIII as a back up to my fabulous 1DS MKII. The focus issues will be dealt with if they arise. I am not particularly worried actually & will now proceed to charge up & get a few shots in.

Cheers,

Paul

Hmmm .... nothing like my current camera........damn, will need to read the manual

Asher Kelman
June 27th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Congrats Paul!

I am toying with getting the camera simply for the increased ISO capability and agile focus in dim light. For this alone, I'd be so much on a high with my Canon 50 1.2L and would have my near perfect system for relaxed street and portrait photography.

I am hesitant to buy this now since I believe that we are on the edge of many new options. If I was forced to buy a new camera, I'd get the 1DII N if I was to be a sports photographer. No doubt, Canon will eventually address any issues. First they have to accept the reality of faults in their perfect new camera! Then they have to find solutions and still saving face!

If I didn't have a digital camera and just did the relatively stationary subjects I do, I'd love the 1DIII. If it works well on the catwalk or in clubs, then I'd definately get one.

I hope you will share with is your experience with this great new camera.

Asher

Paul Bestwick
June 28th, 2007, 05:36 AM
Hey Asher & crew,

so far after a couple of hundred shots I am finding that this is one very complex camera. The results are inconclusive at this stage, mainly on account that I am yet to correctly interperet & apply the appropriate settings.
I can say that it feels very nice in my hand relative to my 1DS MKII. The LCD screen is huge & images look fantastic on it. It is certainly a fast mover.
I claimed months ago that this camera would exceed the expectations of most observers. At this point I see no reason to alter my opinion & once the dust settles I am confident that my opinion will be validated by other respected users.
Consider this. Such is my confidence in Canon that I purchased this camera today within 15 minutes of first seeing it & untried as it had no charged battery. This despite the talk concerning the perceived AF problem.
I will try & come up with something half decent to post.................don't hold your breath.

Cheers,

Paul

Nill Toulme
June 28th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Paul you will probably find this (http://www.wildlifeimagesbyles.net/Technique/1DIII_Guide/1diii_guide.html) somewhat helpful.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Steve Saunders
June 28th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Congratulations Paul. Just a quick question that I need help with; How do I get to look at the histogram quickly when reviewing an image? I know it's probably a daft question, but I'm a newbie to Canon and still learning.

Nill Toulme
June 28th, 2007, 08:12 AM
BTW, I'll be very interested in your reactions, comments and insights as between the new camera and your 1DsMkII as you climb the learning and experience curves. I've sold both my Mark II's and have a Mark III on order, and I'm thinking of supplementing that with a nice used 1DsMkII.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Steve Saunders
June 28th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Ignore my last post folks, I just figured it out after I found the INFO button!

Paul Bestwick
June 28th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Ok. Given that I have not had an opportunity to shoot any portraits I snapped an urban style shot just down from my studio.
So far what is impressing me is this amazing transition between the tones. I took some images earlier with the highlight priority feature enabled & that looks incredible. (inadvertently deleted)
Anyhow, for what it is worth, here is a "snap" from the MK3.
NO pp...straight out of the camera

http://www.studio58.com.au/opm/_S583038.tif

Paul

Asher Kelman
June 29th, 2007, 12:46 AM
This is very clean and appealing. What ISO is this and for interest's sake, what lens?

Asher

Cem_Usakligil
June 29th, 2007, 01:38 AM
Hi Paul,

Your embedded image is not showing. It links to a 2MB big tif file, maybe that is the reason. Could you convert it into jpg at max. IQ and post another link pls?

Thx,

PS :the link to the original image is: http://www.studio58.com.au/opm/_S583038.tif

Paul Bestwick
June 29th, 2007, 02:20 AM
Hey guys,

it is showing OK here (I am not in the studio I am at home now)......... & Asher can see it so I am not sure what the issue is. Can't repost as the file is at the studio.
Sorry for the lack of info. The lens is 70-200 2.8 is L. Aperture is F8 & iso is 100.

Cheers,

Paul

Cem_Usakligil
June 29th, 2007, 02:45 AM
Hi Paul,

I tried it at home and at work (different computers, networks and browsers), both are not showing the image. Maybe you see it because it is a part of your browser cache, I don't know. Nevertheless, I can see it as well when I click on the extracted link from your post (which I reposted above for convenience).

Re. the reposting, if you can see the image, then you have it. You could process it in PS to convert it into jpg. As a matter of fact, anyone can do just that :-).

Cheers,

Paul Bestwick
June 29th, 2007, 03:46 AM
Hey Cem,

well, actually it is more my FTP that is not here.....studio only.

Cheers,

PB

Scott B. Hughes
June 29th, 2007, 02:24 PM
No link seen, until I REPLY.

So, Paul... you're liking the M3? -Scott

Paul Bestwick
June 29th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Hi Scott,

well I am one for calling it how I see it.......You know how it is. Look, very early days & not enough experience with the new camera to give an authoratitive opinion, however. 20m months of owning a 1DS which i sold 2 1/2 years ago to buy the 1DSMKII (which I wont be selling) have given me a feel for these cameras & the files they produce. Obviously for resolution the 1DSMKII has to win based on the figures.
BUT..........I am thinking from what I have seen so far that the MKIII is producing the best looking images. You are going to start hearing that from all corners soon. Problem at the moment is people are so focused on the perceived AF issue that image quality has been forgotten. Technology doesn't go backwards.
This will be Canons' biggest selling pro dslr to date.

Cheers,

Paul

Nill Toulme
June 29th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Paul what are your initial thoughts on the 1DsMkII as a companion to the MkIII? That's the direction I'm currently headed in, at least in theory/concept at the moment.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Paul Bestwick
June 29th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Nill,

I think that is the perfect combo & obviously what I have done myself. I like the idea of getting a bit extra reach on the MKIII while retaining the WA benefit of the 1DSMKII. The MKIII is the camera I think I will be reaching for in challenging light & when the conditions are perfect......pull out the 1DSMKII

Cheers,

Paul

Bart_van_der_Wolf
June 29th, 2007, 04:35 PM
I think that is the perfect combo & obviously what I have done myself. I like the idea of getting a bit extra reach on the MKIII while retaining the WA benefit of the 1DSMKII. The MKIII is the camera I think I will be reaching for in challenging light & when the conditions are perfect......pull out the 1DSMKII

Yes, I'm thinking in the same direction. Both have the same resolution on the sensor, but the 1Ds Mk II requires less magnification for the same output size. The Mark III seems to have better quality at the pixel level, and offers lots of control and speed. Perfect combo indeed, until the 1Ds Mk III materalizes anyway ...

Bart

Paul Bestwick
June 29th, 2007, 05:15 PM
yea well I was going to wait for the 1DSMKIII but I figure the combo I have now will be sufficient for my requirements. I may just miss the next upgrade & wait for the MKIIII. That may well be when the 1D/1DS series merge.
Being the last month of the financial year I decided to spend a few dollars.
I bought the 2 new apple monitors, a 20 inch & a 23 inch. The new EF16-35 II L. Upgraded to CS3.
The new 1DMKIII. & paid my main advertising for next year, $7,000.
still would not mind a TSE lens & a new laptop (next year)

Cyheers,

Paul

Jan Luursema
June 29th, 2007, 05:39 PM
That would be the Mk IV :)

It looks so tempting this Mk III, if it wouldn't be so expensive.. The only reason I want it are the cross sensors. I hate it when my camera refuses to focus in dim light with the off center focus points, and I hardly use the center point..

Asher Kelman
June 29th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Jan,

Why don't you try to use the central focus on the 1DII when you need it?

Is it too much bother, no time or just annoys you?

Asher

Jack Joseph Jr
June 29th, 2007, 08:05 PM
That would be the Mk IV :)

The only reason I want it are the cross sensors. I hate it when my camera refuses to focus in dim light with the off center focus points, and I hardly use the center point..

Jan, I know exactly what you mean. For a some of the companies I shoot for it's always vertical shooting in low light. At f/2.8 I need to use a focus point that is on the athlete's face, not beltline. As you know all of the side sensors (horizontally speaking) on a 1D2&N are not cross sensors.

At the Ford Iroman Arizona those of us shooting the finish were sitting on the ground about twenty feet past the finish line. The light was very dim. It was difficult to focus even with an f/2.8 lens but fortunately I was stopped down quite a bit for a decent DOF.

Cross type focus sensors are one of the things about the 1D3 that initially interested me. At this point I've rated it as having a couple of features I'd really like to have, a few that would be cool to have and a couple that I just don't want.

Jan Luursema
June 30th, 2007, 04:37 AM
Jan,

Why don't you try to use the central focus on the 1DII when you need it?

Is it too much bother, no time or just annoys you?

Asher

I'm actually using the 5D now; I sometimes use the central sensor, but that messes up my compositions, especially when shooting verticals.

Asher Kelman
June 30th, 2007, 12:04 PM
In that situation, I too am frustrated! Why on earth didn't they have do better with the 5D! It's as if they were protecting the 1DsII!

Anyway, for that I just plan to crop in photoshop. After all, I need the picture!

Asher