• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

"Thyristor" flash units - new tutorial article

Doug Kerr

For some while, photoflash units that offer automatic control of exposure, using a light sensor on the flash itself, have often been spoken of (often by the manufacturers) as "thyristor" flash units. In the case of flash units offering various exposure control modes, the mode involving a sensor on the flash unit is sometimes identified as the "thyristor" mode (and other times as the "automatic" mode).

Just what is a thyristor, and why is that name used to identify a genre of flash units and a flash exposure control mode?

I have just posted to my technical information site, The Pumpkin, a new tutorial article, " 'Thyristor' Photoflash Units", available here:

http://doug.kerr.home.att.net/pumpkin/index.htm#ThyristorFlash

It describes the electron device known as a thyristor and discusses how its name has come to have those connotations in connection with photoflash technology.

Ray West

Hi Steve,

All of Doug's articles are good. Well written, explain pretty technical stuff in a simple way.

Best wishes,

Ray