• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Taping pins on TC

Since I've been using taped pins on my Canon TCx1.4 (along with 100-400) a lot, Asher suggested I write a little how-to.

The problem with TC is that entry level DLSR (in Canon world - non-1D series) only autofocus with the lens as fast as f/5.6. Since TC effectively adds the the whole stop (and TCx2 adds two), the lenses like 100-400L f/4.0-5.6 simply won't autofocus. While this is not a problem for a fast glass (f/2.8.. f/4) or better cameras (aforementioned 1D series), us mere mortals have to find a workaround.

It's has been noticed that first three pins on TC are used only to communicate the extender info to the camera. Hence came the idea to put a piece of a very thing non-conductive material over them and thus effectively fool the camera into thinking it operates with the lens alone.

Caveats:
1) You need to dial 1EV exposure compensation (or count for that in full manual mode), otherwise your picture will be full 1 stop underexposed
2) It is NOT recommended to use lens in AF mode, since there will be A LOT of "focus hunting", thus causing a lot of wear and tear on the AF mechanism. Instead, switch the lens to MF mode and simply use focus confirmation.
3) TC presence/info will be missing from the EXIF (duh)
From my personal POV, the troubles with taping and hassles of exposure compensation are way paid off by keeping the ability to focus correctly.

As to the procedure - it's simple, fast and very forgiving. A bit akin to the wet sensor cleaning (but much cheaper, virtually free) - looks menacing at first, but after you did it once or twice, there is really nothing to it.

Original tutorial here.
Sample moonshot with taped-pins TC is here.

Last edited:

Doug Kerr

Hi, Nikolai,

Since I've been using taped pins on my Canon TCx1.4 (along with 100-400) a lot, Asher suggested I write a little how-to.

The problem with TC is that entry level DLSR (in Canon world - non-1D series) only autofocus with the lens as fast as f/5.6. Since TC effectively adds the the whole stop (and TCx2 adds two), the lenses like 100-400L f/4.0-5.6 simply won't autofocus. While this is not a problem for a fast glass (f/2.8.. f/4) or better cameras (aforementioned 1D series), us mere mortals have to find a workaround.

It's has been noticed that first three pins on TC are used only to communicate the extender info to the camera.

Well, not quite. They communicate the extender information to the lens which then changes its behavior as to sending, or acting on, aperture information to/from the camera.

Hence came the idea to put a piece of a very thing non-conductive material over them and thus effectively fool the camera into thinking it operates with the lens alone.

Again, not quite. It fools the lens into thinking it is sitting directly on the camera so it reports its aperture, not the efective aperture that will result from its aperture as affected by the focal length extender.

In the other direction, when the camera commands the lens to adopt a certain aperture, it just does that, rather than "adjusting" that command for the effect of the focal length extender.

With the "three pins" active, the camera still never knows if a focal length extender is present. It takes what the lens tells it at face value.

The result and implications are just as you described, but it is important to recognize what is really happening.

It fools the lens into thinking it is sitting directly on the camera so it reports its aperture, not the efective aperture that will result from its aperture as affected by the focal length extender.

I also assume that the EXIF won't record the actual focal length used, which may or may not become an 'issue' for some applications/evaluations later.

Bart

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
Greetings, Nikolai,

Caveats:
1) You need to dial 1EV exposure compensation (or count for that in full manual mode), otherwise your picture will be full 1 stop underexposed

Well, not quite so. The metering system measures the light thru the lens and has no need to know about the "TC". The metering system will compensate due to the loss of light it receives.

In manual mode You need to mentally compensate since a external light meter reading will not change with the "TC" installed.

Hope this helps.

Ray West

I have the Kenko converters. I never tape the pins. Here is an example of the exif information from an old moon shot of mine, with my 70/200 and a 2* converter on my 20D (as shown by IrfanView. It all looks OK to me. I've never noticed any problems with any of the lenses or the Kenko converters. I can't remember what it does with stacked converters, 'tho.

ImageWidth - 1536
ImageLength - 1024
BitsPerSample - 8 8 8
Compression - 6 (JPG)
Make - Canon
Model - Canon EOS 20D
StripOffset - 9728
Orientation - Top left
StripByteCount - 64045
XResolution - 72
YResolution - 72
ResolutionUnit - Inch