• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Marlborough New Zealand

Trevor Dennis

Hi everyone

I found OPF after following a link Nill Toulme placed in a DPReview forum, and after devouring all the sports threads and info I simply had to register - so here I am.

I live in New Zealand's wine country at the top of the South Island, where I work as a Community Volunteer in organisations like Citizens Advice, volunteer training and placement, and am on a government run funding committee called COGS. I also provide a free photographic service to local not-for-profit organisations, but that might just be an excuse to get out with my camera.

Sports photography is a fairly new thing to me, but it is proving to be highly addictive - possibly because it is so difficult and we all of us get a perverse pleasure from a steep learning curve.

Nill’s writings have been both inspirational and an eye opener. His exclusive use of RAW for sports for instance, was a surprise. I was already doing this but thought most sports photographers shot JPG only. My 30D gives 9 frames before I have to wait for the buffer, but having got used to my subject (Moto-X at the moment) I generally never shoot more than 3 or 4 frames in a burst. I have a huge amount to learn, and endless questions to ask, so I guess I’d better post this and get on with it.

Incidentally, I love the OPF real name policy, but then I have been doing that since the early days of Usenet.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Bonjour Trevor
welcome on board though it maybe a sad day for the Kiwi sport sailors…

Swiss did made it (with a lot of Kiwis on board), America's Cup maybe yours next time as everyone is hoping that you'll come back with the same fighting but fair spirit.

Give a warm welcome to your guys when they'll return home!

But don't take your revenge against the French during the next Rugby World Cup!-)

Michael Fontana

pro member
Hi Trevor

welcome here at OPF; actually, I still remember beeing at Blenheim, some 20 years ago. Touring for 3 months through Aotearoa, your beautyfull islands, and lots of friendly people come to mind.

As Nicolas mentioned yesterday's final run on the cup:
TeamNZ did very well, it was so close, in almost every match-race. I'm sure that TeamNZ will be back; the governement in Wellington already supports it.

BTW: The first time, I ever was on a yacht; that was between Auckland & the Great Barrier Island. Some likeable and openminded Kiwis took me to a sailing tour, for a week. Great time.

kind regards, Michael