• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

AI Servo.... question.

Barry Johnston

Some of you may think this is a dumb question, so I apologise in advance.
I have only recently made a shift to Canon from Konica Minolta, so am not familiar with this particular term.

Can someone please tell me what the 'AI' stands for in AI servo. I have looked through the manual, but cannot find it anywhere.

Many Thanks....

Tim Armes

Artificial Intelligence.

The camera will try to determine for itself if it should do one-shot or continuous focussing.

Personally, I hate this mode since focus and recompose often makes the camera think that you want continuous focussing (despite Canon's claims to the contrary).

Tim

Cem_Usakligil

...Personally, I hate this mode since focus and recompose often makes the camera think that you want continuous focussing (despite Canon's claims to the contrary)...
Ever since I've started using the CF4-3 mode (i.e. using the * button to AF and hold it), I haven't had any problems with the AI of the camera getting in the way.

Regards,

Nill Toulme

Artificial Intelligence.
Yes, I think that's right, but...

The camera will try to determine for itself if it should do one-shot or continuous focussing.

This is true only of AI focus mode, not AI servo mode, the latter being continuous focusing.

Personally, I hate this mode since focus and recompose often makes the camera think that you want continuous focussing (despite Canon's claims to the contrary).
AI focus mode is indeed evil and should be purged. Note that it, like the little green man, does not appear on Canon's pro bodies.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Antonio Correia

I use AI Servo when I shoot sports, with the center point.
When I shoot kitesurf for example because they are always moving I use AI Servo to track the movement.
I keep my finger on the button and I press when time comes to take the moment.
SometimesI have to begin again the focusing because it "runs away" to another surfer who got in the way.
I use a 20 D + 1.4 II + 70-200 f/2.8 IS L USM but I got bed results with the 350 D with the same method.
I do like this way to shoot.
However, it makes your eye to get tired because we have to look continuously to the same point and see the surfer at the same time.
If anyone has anything to teach me about this, please, say so.

Nill Toulme

Antonio I do find this difficult and tiring with the non-1-series cameras because the selected AF point does not stay lit up on those cameras, but only lights up briefly. On 1-series cameras, the selected AF point stays lit as long as AF is active. I find it much easier to keep the little red light on the subject that way.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Antonio Correia

Antonio I do find this difficult and tiring with the non-1-series cameras because the selected AF point does not stay lit up on those cameras, but only lights up briefly. On 1-series cameras, the selected AF point stays lit as long as AF is active. I find it much easier to keep the little red light on the subject that way.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
It only at this moment that I noticed the thread I was in.
Sorry if I shouldn't have written down my opinion/experience.

But now I learned that the series I keeps the red point on as long as it tracks the subject.
There we have a good and nice advantage.

A few minutes ago I was talking to my son about the photos of kitesurf and the magnific and hugely expensive 300mm f/2.8
I borough the cam with the equipment above to a young man I know and he was not able to shoot properly the sport.

I would have done it properly, because I have more experience with the combo. (the hole equipment I mean, that what combo is all about is it not ?).

He was telling me that with all the sophisticated equipment it would be possible to a person not used to photograph to make an excellent work.

I wonder if that is so ... ??

Well, I think a MkIII is a must have for me as fanatic of equipment and photography.
Let's wait 1 year to see if the price goes down a bit ...
Or may be a Mk II would be great ...

Nill Toulme

It's a mystery to me why all Canon DSLR's don't work the same in this regard — i.e., keeping the selected AF point illuminated. I was only reminded of it when I got a 400D recently and noticed that it works the same as the 20D did, with the AF point only lighting up momentarily — irritating.

OTOH, I've seen at least one complaint from a new 1-series user moving from such a "lesser" body that he found the always-illuminated AF point distracting. Chacun à son goût!

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Steve Saunders

I'd be one of those Nill. I like the Nikon way of only lighting the AF point when you press the shutter to activate the AF. The Canon AF point always dimly lit is annoying for me, but I suppose I'll get used to it.

Nill Toulme

It's really helpful to me in tracking moving players when shooting sports. Wearing glasses, I often have a hard time figuring out which AF point is which when they're not lit up. I even keep the brightness setting for them turned up all the way. ;-)

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Antonio Correia

It's really helpful to me in tracking moving players when shooting sports. Wearing glasses, I often have a hard time figuring out which AF point is which when they're not lit up. I even keep the brightness setting for them turned up all the way. ;-)

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
Nill.
Easy question to solve: a switch. One more. ON = Constant Red Point / OFF = Instant Rep Point
Everybody happy ! :)