• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Greetings from Canberra

I’ve been around here since close to the beginning, invited in by Dierk Haasis and joining at the same time as Cem Usakligil. I haven’t been posting much and Asher has asked me to contribute a bit more so here goes....

My main interest in photography dates from the early 1980s when I was given an enlarger by a friend. I joined the Canberra Photographic Society, became Competition Director and then President for six years. In those days I printed Cibachromes and then as now my main photographic interests were special effects, live music and landscapes (not necessarily in that order).

After a while I progressed to large format and I also became interested in night photography. In 1987 I had the good fortune to be sent around Australia taking photographs of lighthouses for a bicentennial history From Dusk to Dawn in which about 90 of my images appeared, mainly from 5x4 (not much of the book on the web but there’s a brief reference in this page).

In about 1991 I became bored with the chemical darkroom and gave up photography until I went back to NZ for a holiday in January 2004, took some images mainly with a Widelux, bought a scanner to scan the slides and discovered the digital darkroom. I rejoined Canberra Photographic Society and I’m now Vice-President and Competition Director again.

From 2004 I also became a frequent poster in the Photo-i Forum and when I purchased a Gaoersi 6x17 panorama camera I posted a review of it there. I also have a full-time job as a systems developer (though actually I majored in economic history) which is currently making it difficult to find enough time to go out and take photographs or to complete as many post-processing tasks as I might like. When I retire in a few years I intend to devote more time to Photography.

I'll post a few images when I get the time. In the meanwhile here are a couple of threads on the Photo-i Forum that contain some of my images of panoramic landscapes and blues musicians.

Murray Foote

Cem_Usakligil

A very warm welcome....

Actually, you are more than welcome Murray! I am so glad to see that you have decided to become a bit more active on this side of the fence.

I have been a forum mate of Murray over there at the Photo-i Forum for many years now. I'm telling you, he brings with him a great wealth of knowledge and wisdom on photography and anything else. Looking forward to enjoying his contributions here.

Cheers mate,

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Murray,

You have made my day! I still think film is so important. For landscape the unity of nature is captured with no stitiching and the smoothest transitons as there are no artificial calculated transitions and files limited only the the power and RAM of your computer.

Also, film slows one down. That makes the brain work more. Si9nce photography is writing with light, that gives time to put meaning into the writing. That's my hypothesis.

Anyway, I'm delighted for you to be active here and really value you sharing your pictures and opinions! Also this makes me remember all those interesting cities in Australia and bring closer the journey I owe myself to explore the outbacki, large cities and the great barrier reef.

Then of course htere's the Kiwis, but that's another journey I expect!

Asher

Thanks very much, Cem and Asher.

There's no question, OPF is a very special place where informed attitudes are the norm, all are welcome, spurious contention is out of place and no-one much grandstands on their expertise.

I agree that the images that work and stand the test of time are generally the ones that you invest the most time in. They may not even be the images with the most potential but they usually end up with the most subtle nuances and most coherently visualised composition.

Regards,
Murray

p.s. Incidentally Asher, it might intrigue you to know that the main page for www.gaoersi-camera.com has a dropdown on the main page called "Friendly Link". One of the three links is entitled "Open Photography Forums" and goes to the recent thread in this Forum on the new Gaoersi cameras.

Carsten Wolff

Welcome, Murray,
nice to see people from around the Tasman on the forum. ....The Global Village....

Carsten
(N-Qld-er and fellow 5x7 (et al.) user....)
(Haven't introduced myself either yet I think).

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Welcome, Murray,
nice to see people from around the Tasman on the forum. ....The Global Village....

Carsten
(N-Qld-er and fellow 5x7 (et al.) user....)
(Haven't introduced myself either yet I think).

Hi Carsten,

Am interested in how you use the 5x7 and why you chose it apart from the 4x5 and 8x10.

The 4x5 has ready loads so the bulk factor is very small. The 8x10 has a large bulk factor but give superlative resolution and enlargements.

The 5x7 by Canham and Walker, allow for the Canham electric 6x17 back, so I understand that, but otherwise what is the attraction? IOW, for what size prints do you get the advantage. Or is it that you have some special lenses that sare optimum with the 5x7?

Nonetheless I'm hoping you might post your 5x7 pictures and 100% crops of points of interest. I'd love to learn more about Australia!

Asher