• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Canon DO lenses

Paul Bestwick

pro member
Do any of you have any experience or opinions on the Canon DO lenses. The 400 looks interesting & I would be interested in any thoughts.

Cheers,

PB

KrisCarnmarker

My thought? EXPENSIVE! :) That's all I know really. If I remember correctly, Michael Tapes has one. You may want to PM him to alert him to this thread.

Paul Bestwick

pro member
further research at this stage indicates that better IQ can be had using the 300/2.8 with the 1.4x.
I will probably take that path. From what I have read it appears the 300/2.8 may be the sharpest lens made by Canon.

Cheers,

PB

John_Nevill

Paul,

I considered the 400 DO and opted for the 300 f2.8, afterall its f2.8 and personally I think its more versatile. e.g. 300 f2.8, 420 f4 and 600 f5.6. It also costs slightly less and when compared to the longer Ls its less of a weight and therefore more likely to be used.

Jack_Flesher

Over the years, I have owned two 400 DO's and two 300/2.8 IS's. In both cases, the 300/2.8 with converter was not as good as either 400 DO. My second DO was an incredible lens, and performed exceptionally well with the 1.4x converter showing virtually no degredation in IQ stopped down to effective f8 -- and was still very good wide open at effective f5.6. With the 2x converter, it remained quite good and very useable wide open as a hand-held 800/8, improving a little bit at f11 effective... For its weight and speed, the 400 DO is tough to beat IMO. FWIW, the newer 400 DO's seem to offer better image quality than earlier versions.

Natasa Stojsic

Do any of you have any experience or opinions on the Canon DO lenses. The 400 looks interesting & I would be interested in any thoughts.

Cheers,

PB

Basically EF 400mm DO is the only prime tele lens I could carry with me, but eventually everything with Canon including the camera 1DsMkII became heavy for me. So, I sold the gear and purchased Mamiya 645 AFDII, otherwise as far as the 400mm DO goes, I was surprised about the weight difference among them and the performance, sharpness was impressive.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Natasa,

Are you Czech? Just visited the Czech Republic and had a great time.

I was wondering about your switch from Canon with a 400mm DO lens to a MF camera with just a 150mm lens. Are you in fact relying on the extra pixels to make up for the lost of focal length?

We are going to be reviewing the Hy6. I hope you can post as many pics as possible from your Phase One system. Also I'd love to hear about your impressions with the AF of the Mamiya AFDII.

Glad you are here!

Asher

Paul Bestwick

pro member
Thanks for your input people. I ended up buying the 300 f2.8 IS a few weeks ago. It is fantastic, my favourite lens. I am using it to shoot portraits at the moment.