• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

How will Leaf, Rollei and Sinar hook up with the same basic body?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is exciting time for people waiting to upgrade to a MF camera that won't break the bank.

What do we know?

The Hy6 frame will hold a 6x6 removable back and any of the Rollei/Schneider/Zeiss lenses we already know about.

However, what I have not heard, and perhaps I'm last to find out, is how interchangeable the backs are and to what extent can these backs be moved to other bodies, Hassleblad V, Mamiya, Bronica or other bodies.

I hope that the consortium of camera MFRS didn't agree to make things incompatible with each other and alternative bodies!

Asher

Dear Asher,

as far as Sinar is concerned (I do not wish and cannot speak for other manufacturers), the situation is following:

- All Sinarbacks are fitting the new Sinar Hy6 camera, by means of an adapter, (except the SB 54 H, for which an adapter is in evaluation)
- All these same Sinarbacks can be used on ANY other common MF or LF camera platform, simply by changing the adapter and using the corresponding adapter kit (Mamiya, Rollei, Contax, Hasselbald Serie V & H, etc...), like it always was Sinar's policy.
- The Sinar Hy6 is an open platform which can accept both film and digital backs.
- The Sinar Hy6 will as well accept and fit Leaf backs

- Sinar did not agree with anybody to make things incompatible: it is and it always was the back manfacturer's job and concern to make an adapter for a certain camera platform/brand. In this respect, Sinar cannot answer for other manufacturers.

Facts are, that Leaf is part of the Hy6 project, together with Sinar, and that they will sell this camera. Fact is also, that Phase One and Hasselblad are not part of this project, and as such will not sell this camera.

If they will make an adapter for it and for their backs is another story which has to be asked to them directly.

Best regards,
Thierry

This is exciting time for people waiting to upgrade to a MF camera that won't break the bank.

What do we know?

The Hy6 frame will hold a 6x6 removable back and any of the Rollei/Schneider/Zeiss lenses we already know about.

However, what I have not heard, and perhaps I'm last to find out, is how interchangeable the backs are and to what extent can these backs be moved to other bodies, Hassleblad V, Mamiya, Bronica or other bodies.

I hope that the consortium of camera MFRS didn't agree to make things incompatible with each other and alternative bodies!

Asher

Asher Kelman

That was quick!

Thierry,

What about electronic functions of the new Sinar backs talking to the Mamiya? What part of the Sinar functions can still be used if someone has a Mamiya AFD camera, for example? Also is there an adpter for a Bronica SQ or is that not possible?

Asher

Asher,

The Sinarbacks, together with the adapter kit for Mamiya AFD/AFD II gives integration and communication of the back and ALL back/software functions can be used, with no cable.

There is only an adapter kit for the SB 54 (S or H) FW or FO for the Bronica SQ-A / SQ-Ai or for the Bronica ETR-Si

Thierry

That was quick!

Thierry,

What about electronic functions of the new Sinar backs talking to the Mamiya? What part of the Sinar functions can still be used if someone has a Mamiya AFD camera, for example? Also is there an adpter for a Bronica SQ or is that not possible?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Asher,

The Sinarbacks, together with the adapter kit for Mamiya AFD/AFD II gives integration and communication of the back and ALL back/software functions can be used, with no cable.

There is only an adapter kit for the SB 54 (S or H) FW or FO for the Bronica SQ-A / SQ-Ai or for the Bronica ETR-Si

Thierry

So this is amazingly good news since it allows choices for the photographer also according to lens needs. I am so amazed that Sinar has made the backs work o completely with the Mamiya.

When we think about it, this compatibility makes sense for everyone: Mamiya, Sinar and the photographer.

A Sinar back fitting on the Mamiya platform increases the market for Sinar and sustains a wider MF base. Mamiya users can then choose the economical ZD back or take the option of a higher level Sinar back and (I might imagine, Leaf back too).

This is all good news!

I guess that there will be special incentive packages for all the different combinations!

Asher

This is sometimes specific to each country: some distributors might offer a kit/bundle which you won't find in other countries.

However, if Sinar does offer a kit/bundle, this is available worldwide and from all distributors.

Currently, there are special prices for the following:

- Trade-in of ANY MF digital back of ANY brand (CCD sensor, not scanning back), when buying a Sinar digital back.
- Trade-in of ANY MF body together with a lens, when buying a new Sinar Hy6 with a Sinar digital back.
- Bundles with the new Sinar Hy6 together with different Sinarbacks (eMotion 54LV, eMotion 75 LV, SB 54 MC), a 80mm lens, etc ....

The 2 latest promotions might not yet have been annouced by our distributors, since quite new and since the Sinar Hy6 will be available in October.

In any case, I would suggest anybody to consult with our distributors and to have a look to our webpage from time to time (www.sinarcameras.com).

Thierry

I guess that there will be special incentive packages for all the different combinations!

Asher

Last edited: