• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hello From Southern California!

Len Mitchell

Greetings all,

I just registered and thought I'd introduce myself. I've been shooting for about 24 years now (off and on, more on!), and primarily focus on landscape and travel photos. Hopefully I'll be able to offer some valuable input to the forums!

If you're interested, feel free to check out my web galleries:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lmitch/

Thanks!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Greetings all,

I just registered and thought I'd introduce myself. I've been shooting for about 24 years now (off and on, more on!), and primarily focus on landscape and travel photos. Hopefully I'll be able to offer some valuable input to the forums!

If you're interested, feel free to check out my web galleries:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lmitch/
Hi Len,

Welcome to you from sunny Californai! Your pictures made me happy. Especially all the images of Laguna beach. It's a paradox that I should like your low shutter speed images of water pouring between rocks. I mostly echew those visoins as over-used! The title of "Fluidity" makes a context where the creamy foamy whispy effects are highly fitting and satisfying. Better, the sites are close to me, so I have new places to explore!

Tell me about the Joshua National Monument pictures? How far off the road did you go? Is this a matter of just pulling off the side of the highway and walking 500 yards or is this a hike and one needs a map or a GPS as a guide? I just realized how close the place is to Los Angeles!

Anyway, you made a great end to my day,

Asher

Len Mitchell

Hi Asher,

Funny, I live in Costa Mesa, and am only 20 minutes or so from Laguna. The "Fluidity Series" started off as an experiment to see what I could get, and I was hooked. Good to hear you enjoyed them also. I think the combination of the rock structures, long exposures, and varying tides ends up producing a surreal, 'other worldly' effect. Plus it's peaceful shooting, as one is normally on the beach alone. For some info on the various beaches in the area, check out: http://www.lagunaseasports.com/divesite/default.asp

Joshua Tree National Park is one of my favorite places. For the most part, you really can 'shoot from the car'. Most of my images there were taken less than a few hundred yards from a parking area. As with most places, the light is best early in the morning and late in the evening. Take plenty of water/sports drinks, and lots of snacks, it can get very hot (100 degrees plus) depending on what time of year you go. There are some good hikes also. Ryan Mountain, The Lost Horse Mine, and a natural arch in the White Tank campground area (which is currently closed, I think it'll open back up in the fall).

Glad you enjoyed my galleries, feel free to ask if you're looking for some tips on any of the places I've been!