• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Another try

I still have not picked up another mum to try the shot again that Asher wanted to see (another post) but I have continued my flower quest nonetheless. I was visiting another of my usual favorite places, the Edith Moore Bird Sanctuary in Houston and I came across this on that early, wet morning. I'm sorry I cannot tell you what type of flower it is but I really liked the combination of the beauty of the bloom and the contrasting, wierdness of the rest of the plant. It reminded me a bit of the plant in Little Shop of Horrors for some reason:)
I shot this with my Nikon D40, 105mm f/2.8 Macro lens in natural light at f/8 , 1/5 sec and ISO 200 It's obvious I still need more practice but at least I feel I am heading in the right direction. I will appreciate any advice, as always, on what is wrong, what may be right, or what might have been done differently to make this a better image. James
DSC_8477.jpg

James,

Your flower is a spiderwort. Peak season for them in Northern Illinois was a couple weeks ago. Interesting angle for the photo; unusual and effective.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This image has the leaf, stem and flower bud complexes in an important position. The folding of the stems is fascinating and unudusual.

Asher