• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Anyone using a TLR for street/documentary?

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
I'm coming back to an idea I had a while back of getting a TLR for certain aspects of street photography. Does anyone have any modern work to show from a TLR in the fields of street or documentary photography? Do you always shoot square or shoot with a crop in mind? I've never shot square and am not particularly happy about it as a crop, it doesn't suit what I feel to be a dynamic ratio. Even cropping it to 645 will give me more than enough negative real estate.

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Size, weight, handholdability, etc. Thing is that if I'm going to shoot film I'll be damned if I'm going back to 35mm, added to that I want to use a WLF. A TLR seems to be the best bet for street work.

Anil Mungal

Why a twin lens reflex and not a Hassy or Bronica 6x6?

Asher

TLR vs. Hassy/Bronica for street/documentary photos - pros

• smaller, lighter, cheaper
  • quiet leaf shutter
  • no mirror slap
  • hand holdable at slow shutter speeds
  • waist level viewfinder may allow for more discreet/candid images

TLR vs. Hassy/Bronica for street/documentary photos - cons

• fixed lens
  • dimmer viewfinder

Discalimer: I own a Rolleiflex TLR, so I am biased in that direction.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

TLR vs. Hassy/Bronica for street/documentary photos - cons

• fixed lens
  • dimmer viewfinder

Discalimer: I own a Rolleiflex TLR, so I am biased in that direction.
A Mamiya C330, if one can find one, has interchangeable lenses. This is one of the sharpest cameras ever and the viewfinder is very bright!

Of course, A Rolleiflex or a Yasica(mat?) are just beyond wonder cameras, although fixed lens), but nothing beats the Mamiya all around.

Asher

Anil Mungal

I forgot about the C330 ... thanks for the reminder, Asher. So Ben, there are no cons! Go get one now and start shooting!

Doug Kerr

Hi, Anil,

• waist level viewfinder may allow for more discreet/candid images

I'm not sure I understand - which of these doesn't normally have a waist-level finder?

Best regards,

Doug

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Thing is with the mamiya, it's heavy, bulky and the knobs too protruding compared to a rollei. If you're shooting weddings then it's one thing, for street I don't think it's worth the extra bulk and weight.

Doug Fisher

Pluses and minuses for both but the Mamiya's interchangeable lenses give you more options. If I remember correctly, Diane Arbus used the Mamiya TLR quite a bit.

Doug