• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Black and white Balsam Knob

Don Ferguson Jr.

I posted this in color and with LR did it B&W . The foreground may be a little too black now I see it .
What do y'all think ?
Thanks
Don

img200606090466editmq3.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I posted this in color and with LR did it B&W . The foreground may be a little too black now I see it What do y'all think ?
Wll, Don, I like it!

The area I'd have more concern is the left 2/3 of the photograph's dark mid-field. There's detail there. I'd look to trying to optimize the detail, brightness, distrivution of tones aand contrast. Lightzone would seem ideal for this.

Same with the clouds. Great that you have guarded and preserved the higlight detail. If you can do more with lightzone there, too, that would be great.

Asher

Could you re/post the oriignal color and B&W and explain how you did the conversion?

Don Ferguson Jr.

Thanks Asher ,I will post the color one later and I will use LR to tone down green as it has individual sliders in Lightroom and will post how it looks too .
Regards
Don

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Great in color too. You certainly seem to have brought back detail in the clouds in the B&W. Good job!

That shows the color version might be improved by blending back the B&W.

Asher

Ray West

Hi Don,

I think you are right with the B&W, the foreground could probably be a fair bit lighter. The sky is fine, but there is a sort of annoying vertical line about a quarter of the way in from the rhs. This is just how the gaps in the two lowest layers of clouds and the shadow of the ones above line up, just a freak of nature and the B&W rendering of the colour image.

Best wishes,

Ray

Don Ferguson Jr.

Hi Don,

I think you are right with the B&W, the foreground could probably be a fair bit lighter. The sky is fine, but there is a sort of annoying vertical line about a quarter of the way in from the rhs. This is just how the gaps in the two lowest layers of clouds and the shadow of the ones above line up, just a freak of nature and the B&W rendering of the colour image.

Best wishes,

Ray

Yea I will work on it in LR ,which is amazing . You are right about the clouds I examined them more and I do not see how to change that part of pic . Printed in color it is not noticable.
My little Epson RX 600 cannot do good black and white but I think I will get a local lab that does good printing to do it as I really like the sky in both at larger print size. I wonder about little noise I do not have noise ninja and if bought one would get Noiseware since NN softens too much . If I get them to enlarge they can look at that . It looks pretty good without noise at 8x10 in color.
Thanks
Don

Ray West

Hi Don,

For me, the last one is better by far. I think I would try, but be prepared to throw it out, selecting the foreground with a mask, and brighten it even more, possibly just drop in the colour version of that area (that may look odd, no idea unless you try it - coloured foreground, B&W the rest of the image.) wrt. the clouds' line, then I'd probably use the clone tool.

The image works quite nicely if the bottom is cropped off, (height now 4 inches, crop off bottom 0.75 inches) leaving just some of the grasses in the bottom rh corner. However, of what I am saying, I may not say if I was looking at a full size print, just trying possibilities.

Best wishes,

Ray

Don Ferguson Jr.

Ray,
Thanks for suggestions . I am not real good PP so if I did more it would be with mask . I can use a mask like PS has with PSE3 since I have Grants Tools .
I cannot print B&W well on my Epson and get larger print then 8x10 so I will put tiff on CD and let my local printer give me a proof of both color and B&W . I do not think I will ever get a better pic of the clouds up there so I am framing this one.
Do you have noise with B&W ? I think it is ok .
Regards
Don

Ray West

Hi Don,

It looks fine for me, with my eyesight, my monitor, and your small jpeg. It sort of reminds me of a very large print/etch my grandfather had on his wall, it was probably made around the ww1 period, maybe before, I expect it was quite popular. iirc it was entitled 'Peace', a sort of angel in the clouds. I expect I'll be googling for the next ten minutes, trying to find it, then I will see its nothing like your image, except it was black and white. ;-)

Best wishes,

Ray