• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A few Macro images and an introduction

Eric Hiss

Hi All,
Asher invited me to post a few of my macro images and I thought that was a splendid idea but I figured you would perhaps get more from them with a little background. My name is Eric Hiss and I'm an artist working primarily with photography but also sculpture. Before turning most of my attention to art, I have worked in science and technology fields so macro photography is something that I could really get into. I love to explore the patterns in nature and the beauty of all things small, but I also like the technical bits that one must learn in order to get in so close. I have been told my images have a quality of scientific discovery, and that might be true, but I myself like to make my images alive - to anthropromophisize them when possible. I imagine that if you are reading this post then you must also enjoy macro work, and I'd be interested to hear what inspires the rest of you and what subjects you work with most. I'll read through some of the older posts now to try and catch up.

Here's some images more or less selected randomly.
Peony
Hiss-e-10.jpg

Abstractions of the Mundane series - Melon
Hiss-e-8.jpg

Passion Flower series
Hiss-e-6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Eric

Lovely images, I particularly like the passion flower tendril entwinded around the leaf, I have one in my garden, when the sun puts an appearance in again (could be a long time!!) I'll have to have a go and see what I can get, what lighting did you use for the melon?

Eric,
I personally am drawn to the first one the most. The yellow part looks like an eye to me and I keep asking myself what creature is hiding behind the petals. These are very beautiful images.