• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A couple of shots from Washington State

Jerome Love

I was in Washington earlier this month for some weddings and took a few scenic shots while I was out. C&C are welcomed. :D

931540426_dfed3473db_b.jpg

931540372_233e9771b0_b.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Jerome,

Good to do pictures for your soul between pictures for bread on the table!

Both images show layered landscape features from foreground trees, over flat lend, to distant tree-covered hills and beyond that to successive overlapping ever-softer hills.

The first picture has impressive cloud structure, unfortunately impaired, on my screen at least, by blown highlights. If that is really true, look to recovering that end from Camera RAW 4, photoshop or LR using shadow recovery tools.

The tree in the foreground of the first picture and and probably in the second too, are cut of at the trunk. While a branch running into the bottom of a frame often anchors images well, a trunkless tree is almost always distraction (unless a compositional element).

Also, i9f there is more to the frame extending the lower border, I'd revisit this area to perhaps add more of the tree trunks with surrounding grass detail.

I do like both images, but the second especially. I'd work on this one more and make maximum use of the extensive tonalities here. This is, I believe, a perfect picture for trying LightZone!

Asher

Jerome Love

Hi Jerome,

Good to do pictures for your soul between pictures for bread on the table!

Both images show layered landscape features from foreground trees, over flat lend, to distant tree-covered hills and beyond that to successive overlapping ever-softer hills.

The first picture has impressive cloud structure, unfortunately impaired, on my screen at least, by blown highlights. If that is really true, look to recovering that end from Camera RAW 4, photoshop or LR using shadow recovery tools.

The tree in the foreground of the first picture and and probably in the second too, are cut of at the trunk. While a branch running into the bottom of a frame often anchors images well, a trunkless tree is almost always distraction (unless a compositional element).

Also, if there is more to the frame extending the lower border, I'd revisit this area to perhaps add more of the tree trunks with surrounding grass detail.

I do like both images, but the second especially. I'd work on this one more and make maximum use of the extensive tonalities here. This is, I believe, a perfect picture for trying LightZone!

Asher

Asher:

Thank you for the comments and help. I appreciate the trunkless idea, I never realized that. Ill mess around with the curve a bit more the second and try to get the most out of my color tones. Also the first was a bit blown out but that was about as much as I could fix.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don Lashier

The second shot has potential and is a good candidate for HDR layering. I'll post a quick example with your permission (requested).

- DL

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
It's incredible what you can find in a file when you "push" it a little bit…

I don't want to spoil the debate and thread here and also by respect for Jerome, I preferred to link to the image instead of posting it here…

Jerome if it is disturbing you just tell and I'll destroy the link.

http://mnclaris.free.fr/forum/931540372_233e9771b0_b_NC.jpg

I only post this to show that there is a lot of data that don't show in a "normal" file.
Only CS2 here (auto level, light and shadow, saturation, sharpness - in that order)

Don Lashier

Ditto here Nic - this is a great file, and Jerome I'll remove the linked image immediately if you object.

http://www.lashier.com/images/temp/jeromelove.jpg

This was 5 minutes in CS, dup layer, copy image to top layer mask, contrast and blur mask, throw a curve on each layer. This is all tonal adjustments - absolutely no color adjustments or saturation adjustments. My crude masking left a little glow around the trees but this is easily fixed.

- DL

nicolas claris

Hi Don, your rendition is much more nice! I also got the " little glow around the trees", should have been done during the original PP…

BTW, I like your bio, specially the 1st part of it…

nicolas claris

Bonjour Jerome

as stated above,

Don did:
in CS, dup layer, copy image to top layer mask, contrast and blur mask, throw a curve on each layer. This is all tonal adjustments - absolutely no color adjustments or saturation adjustments.

I did:
Only CS2 (auto level, light and shadow, saturation, sharpness - in that order)

Don Lashier

I'll post a more detailed description of what I did, including the curves (which were rather radical and perhaps not obvious). I did the fiddling during a "work break" at the office and need to retrieve the psd file tomorrow. btw I forgot that I also applied a levels with a gradient mask to lighten the top band of clouds.

Oh, and since you're cool with it, here's an inline copy (for the lazy:)

jeromelove.jpg

- DL

Jerome Love

I'm not familiar with "copy image to top layer mask" , do you mean a clipping mask? Also, could you explain you're curve adjustments?

Best,

Jerome Love

Don Lashier

I'm not familiar with "copy image to top layer mask" , do you mean a clipping mask? Also, could you explain you're curve adjustments?
Hi Jerome,

With your permission I'll add a fairly detailed explanation of what I did on my adjustments examples page. I would have done it already but just spent the last few days converting the examples to a tabbed layout (most of them anyway).

- DL

Jerome Love

here's my stab at it.
1000485809_a7ed5697e3_b.jpg

I did everything Don did, but instead of a blur mask, I just used the blur brush. I still find the greenery a little odd looking, any way to fix that?

I also used the FM plugin Velvia Vision, to saturate some of the colors.