• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Birds in Flight - The other end of the scale

John Harper

Hi There

Looking for some advice on shooting birds in flight with the EF500 on a 1DMKIIN. Those of you who follow my various posts on OPF will be aware that i spend a lot of time at the Hawk Conservancy taking pictures of the various birds of prey that they display there in various flying demonstrations.

I have had some success with my Barn Owl shots, and i am now trying to get some nice action shots of both black Kites and Falcons (Lanner & Peregrine).

Having only just got the 500mm i have had only limited time to practice with it and have been using it handheld with some degree of success. The sort of shots i am trying to get are the Falcons flying near the ground in high speed passes, wings spread and sharp on the eye.

Does anyone feel that i would stand a better chance with this sort of shot with the lens on a wimberley type head or am i better off handheld and just shooting lots of frames in the hope i get a good one ( The old spray and pray technique).

I may well be asking the impossible of both the camera and the lens and or a tripod and wimberley, but i would be grateful to hear from anyone who has had any experience of this sort of thing

I post below a shot showing the sort of shot i am after, but tend to find you either get the framing right but no focus, or focus and lose the framing, or lose both!!

John

Tech Details

EOS1DMKIIN EF500mm F4L 1/5000 @ F4 ISO 800 Handheld IS off AI Servo CF4-3 Focus set to * button center point only.

larkclip.jpg

I'm not saying you can't get decent results handholding the 500, but that is definitely a lot of weight and bulk. I would think you'd have better results tripod mounted, with Wimberley or other gimbal-type head. You have much greater stability to begin with, and framing will be more precise.

With fast-moving birds, it is still going to be challenging, and requite time and practice, but I'm inclined to think your yield of good shots will be higher with better support.

I do my flight shots with the 600, and while there are a few who will handhold this, I can't imagine doing this for more than a few minutes at a time, and trying to keep a small bird in the frame is going to be much harder.

I've heard some people speak of a "gun-stock" type approach which might be worth looking into. It would give you a little more stability, but still allow complete freedom of movement.

My $.02 worth, anyway.

John_Nevill

Falcons fly at speeds in excess of 200mph. Using longer lenses (500+) your going to have to be some distance from the subject, say 20m+ to give the AIservo a chance.

Pre-emptive manual focus will help get you there, so will a smooth follow through technique but once this type of bird gets within 10m of a lens this long it really does become pot luck.

Using AIServo will help maintain focus with the medium distance, if the bird is gliding at ~30mph, but shorter lenses (<300mm) will yeild a better hit rate.

Playing around with CFn 20 also helps improve AIservo capabilities depending upon the contrast difference between subject and background / foreground. Lowering this setting will prevent it being thrown off by contrast differential. Likewise switching off Pfn 14 can help.

I suppose our challenge is wanting to fill the frame with the bird in flight, and this really is down to technique and practice.

A good exercise is to put up bird feeder in your garden or find seagull ridden beach , (mudflats or estuary at low tide) and practice.

I'd also recommend Art Morris' new book - Art of Bird Photography II, Oops, that the 2nd plug in as many posts. Great book though!

John Harper

Falcons fly at speeds in excess of 200mph. Using longer lenses (500+) your going to have to be some distance from the subject, say 20m+ to give the AIservo a chance.

Pre-emptive manual focus will help get you there, so will a smooth follow through technique but once this type of bird gets within 10m of a lens this long it really does become pot luck.

Using AIServo will help maintain focus with the medium distance, if the bird is gliding at ~30mph, but shorter lenses (<300mm) will yeild a better hit rate.

Playing around with CFn 20 also helps improve AIservo capabilities depending upon the contrast difference between subject and background / foreground. Lowering this setting will prevent it being thrown off by contrast differential. Likewise switching off Pfn 14 can help.

I suppose our challenge is wanting to fill the frame with the bird in flight, and this really is down to technique and practice.

A good exercise is to put up bird feeder in your garden or find seagull ridden beach , (mudflats or estuary at low tide) and practice.

I'd also recommend Art Morris' new book - Art of Bird Photography II, Oops, that the 2nd plug in as many posts. Great book though!

Hi John

Thanks for the tips, i certainly get a better hit rate with the 400mm because it is soooo much lighter. However when the 500mm nails it.. the pics are gorgeous.

I will persevere with the 500mm (if only to build my biceps!!) but may well go the wimberley and Gitzo route for the slower stuff.

Have a good holiday by the way.

John