• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Eos 40D imminent

Paul Bestwick

pro member
For those who may be interested, my sources inform me that the 40D will be in stores by the end of the month

BTW. I was out by a week or two with regard to the MK3 firmware so probably the same with the 40D

Last edited:
For those who may be interested, my sources inform me that the 40D will be in stores by the end of the month

BTW. I was out by a week or two with regard to the MK3 firmware so probably the same with the 40D

Strange timing for launching a camera (unless it's a small evolutionary upgrade), after people have spent their holiday budget and have not saved yet for year-end spending. Maybe they want to slowly build production capacity for filling the retail pipeline? We'll see what materializes ...

Bart

Jim Rhoades

Nill Toulme

This camera looks hugely attractive, especially with its higher frame rate and weather-sealing. It's almost the legendary "3D," isn't it.

But its "completely redesigned nine-point AF sensor provid[ing] cross-type AF measurement at all nine focusing points" sounds as though it could share some design/tech with the Mark III. Won't the world be holding its breath to see how well it works...

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

My favorite quote from the write-up on Amazon: "... the EOS 40D SLR puts the fun in functionality ..." :)

It looks like they addressed a long-standing complaint from a major review site regarding the memory card door shutting the camera down.

The live view's ability to zoom in w/o a zoom lens is very useful for ensuring proper focus! A way-cool feature.

I wonder how well this works in low-light?

Erik DeBill

I guess I need to go compare specs to the 400D. Off the cuff it just doesn't sound sufficiently compelling to me.

They say they improved the viewfinder, but it doesn't sound like they improved it very much. That and the tiny pixels are my two biggest hangups with my 20D at the moment.

Anyone want to make any bets on when and how much the price on used 5D and 1DsMkII bodies will fall?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This might be a better street camera than the 5D if focus has improved. The x1.6 and the 50mm f1.2 would be give 80mm and more surreptitious shots. At the same time one would have great ability to isolate the subject beautifully.

Asher

Last edited:

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Replacement for the 5D

Until the next generation of the 5D comes out - which should be perhaps the end of this year is my guess - I'd wait to buy anything.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Surreptitious? I'd certainly notice if you pointed a 50 f/1.2 at me. ;-)

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

I use it on the 5D. The new camera would allow me to back off considerably comp[ared to right now, LOL! Subtle would be the Leica M8, taped with black gaffers tape to cover the red dot and M8, with an 50mm lens.

Asher

Vivek Khanzode

Yep.. I like what I see... This may not be all I wanted, but the upgrade from the 20D/30D is substantial.

I would wait for the reports on following before jumping the gun:
1. How much "better" the VF is compared to the 30D.
2. How much is the AF improved over XTi/20D/30D.

Everything else is great... including the price and especially the interchangeable focus screens. Looks like a nice Elan 7 class digial SLR.. not so much like the EOS3. Most likely.. the EOS 5D Mk II rumored for release in Feb... will be the digital equivalent of the EOS3.

-- V