• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

30D problems

I have a new 30D (purchased in June) that has been giving me "error 01" messages, but only with one lens. I have a Sigma EX 80-400 that I get the error message with, but I have no problem with either of my Tamron SP lenses, a 17-35 and a 24-135. The only difference is that the Sigma is stabilized, the Tamrons are not. The error appears connected in some way to the stabilization function. The Sigma was damaged in a fall, and I assumed the error message was a result of some undetected damage to the stabilizer mechanism, but the factory service center can't find a problem… they say they've shot over 500 frames with no errors on a 30D test camera. I was getting the error message once every 5 or 10 frames, sometimes more.

Is it possible that the camera body is causing the problem, and it doesn't show up with an unstabilized lens? Does the camera even "know" whether the lens is stabilized or not? I never got this error with that same Sigma lens on my original 30D, which was damaged beyond economical repair (that's why the new one...) - it's only my new one that seems to have a problem, and I'm at a loss as to what to do next!

Help!

Rocky

Don Lashier

Have you cleaned your body contacts? Some of the Canon IS lenses are plagued with this problem also, in particular the 70-200. I got it occasionally with my 100-400 also.

- DL

Have you cleaned your body contacts? Some of the Canon IS lenses are plagued with this problem also, in particular the 70-200. I got it occasionally with my 100-400 also.

- DL

have't tried that, but as i mentioned, it's a brand new camera, and i don't have the problem with anyof my other lenses...

Marc Hankins

Normally I would say the Sigma lens might need re-chipping to be suitable for more modern cameras... But it worked on your old 30D. Weird.

I guess it would probably be out of the question to get the camera replaced for new. Have you tried firing the question in Canons general direction?