• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Reverse 50 Mites etc...

Jody Melanson

My 1st post in here, 2nd post on the forum. I shot these with a Canon 1DMKIIN + 3 Kenko Extension Tubes + Sigma 150mm + a Reversed Canon 50/1.8 on the front. I use a Kirk Photo Flash bracket FB9 with an Omnibounce for diffusion or a Gary Fong Lightsphere mounted on a Sigma DG 500 Super Flash unit. All were shot handheld.

A picture of me using this rig here:

http://jmelanson.smugmug.com/gallery/3012712#181896716-O-LB

Velvet Mites or Chiggers?

With prey.
166405543-O.jpg

166405542-O.jpg

Don't know what this guy was.....about 2mm in length.

166405568-O.jpg

Do you like the treatment I put on this?

166405564-O.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Jody,

I'm impressed that you could even carry all these pieces attached to your lens never mind shoot freehand 2mm mites! Why the particular Sigma flash? Any special features over the Canon or Metz?

I like all the pictures. The first two show the insect with another creature ? spider or is that the shell after the innards are sucked out? For sure Mike Spinak will look at these and would know more than I do! Why is the focus seen as a diagonal? Going from mid left down to the right lower corner. Is this an artistic interpretation in photoshop or some effect of the lens?

The detail of the insect's bristle back drops off so fast. I guess that is just the narrow depth of field. Have to ever tried focus stacking? If so, have you ever achieved good results without a macro rail setup?

The 3rd image is my favorite since unlike the creature in the first 2 images which is giving full attention to the prey or whatever is in its jaws, the creature in the 3rd picture could be planning to go for us as he has nothing else retaining his attention! I wonder whether or not there is room to sharpen and increase the contrast curve over the eyes to suggest it might be looking for what to eat or bite!

With this particular picture the angle of the shot makes it appear as if the creature does have intent to come toward us and is somewhat a threat. That's good. Whenever we ask outselves about intentions it means the picture has captured life. The fact that all the corners are blurred at the insect comes from a misty background and then is sharply defined suffiently enough to be a real center of attention is excllent. I hate the current obsession with even clarity to the corners of lenses. This picture would be much less itneresting if it was uniformly sharp and everything could be identified.

The last picture, I guess is of a moth. I find it hard to "get it" as the moth does not have sufficent world around it. The picture seems to have insufficnt room to contain it. Now this is merely my own idiosyncratic response and is not meant to pass for some ruling of merit or otherwise.

I do wonder though how the photograph might look if the material around it were cloned to at least double the size of the picture without magnifying the moth. I do feel that this would not be a wasted excercise. Not a big issue, just me thinking out loud!

Thanks so much for sharing your expertise in macro photography. I do love your work!

Asher

BTW, where on earth did you find your subjects?

Don Lashier

Great macro work Jody, espcially getting decent DOF for such great magnification.

What's your effective f-stop with all that glass attached?

- DL

Mike Spinak

pro member
Asher,

Entomology is not my area of biological expertise. The top critter looks to me more like a mite than a chigger... but that doesn't mean much. I could make a feeble attempt to key out an identification, if I was at home with all of my bug ID guide books sitting in front of me, but I'm spending a few days at a friend's house, with no access to any insect ID tomes.

Sorry.

My 1st post in here, 2nd post on the forum. I shot these with a Canon 1DMKIIN + 3 Kenko Extension Tubes + Sigma 150mm + a Reversed Canon 50/1.8 on the front. I use a Kirk Photo Flash bracket FB9 with an Omnibounce for diffusion or a Gary Fong Lightsphere mounted on a Sigma DG 500 Super Flash unit. All were shot handheld.

Wel done! Which adaptor ring did you use to mount the reversed 50mm? What is the approx. magnification factor you achieve on the sensor?

The images you've shown seem to have been downsampled a reasonable amount, so I assume you have a decent coverage of your sensor array. Can you use the full (1.3 crop) sensor array image, or do you still need to crop out the vignetted corners?

Bart

Jeffrey Seidel

For bug identification I usually use either BugGuide or Discover Life. BugGuide is unfortunately for North American critters only. I have the same questions Bart asked. What adapter ring did you use and what is your guesstimate of the achieved magnification? Great work!

Jody Melanson

Hi Jody,

I'm impressed that you could even carry all these pieces attached to your lens never mind shoot freehand 2mm mites! Why the particular Sigma flash? Any special features over the Canon or Metz?

No special reason for the Sigma other than price. :) Here is a pic of me using said rig.

181896716-O.jpg

I like all the pictures. The first two show the insect with another creature ? spider or is that the shell after the innards are sucked out? For sure Mike Spinak will look at these and would know more than I do! Why is the focus seen as a diagonal? Going from mid left down to the right lower corner. Is this an artistic interpretation in photoshop or some effect of the lens?

Yes the Spider Mite (so I've found out) has some prey. Not too sure what he is eating though. The focus is diagonal as I was holding the camera on an angle. The DOF is around 1-2mm max.

The detail of the insect's bristle back drops off so fast. I guess that is just the narrow depth of field. Have to ever tried focus stacking? If so, have you ever achieved good results without a macro rail setup?

Yes I have done some focus stacking. Very tough to do hand holding though. I am in the process of setting up a little home made gadget to help me do some focus stacking at home.

The 3rd image is my favorite since unlike the creature in the first 2 images which is giving full attention to the prey or whatever is in its jaws, the creature in the 3rd picture could be planning to go for us as he has nothing else retaining his attention! I wonder whether or not there is room to sharpen and increase the contrast curve over the eyes to suggest it might be looking for what to eat or bite!

Feel free to edit my pic and repost if you like...

With this particular picture the angle of the shot makes it appear as if the creature does have intent to come toward us and is somewhat a threat. That's good. Whenever we ask outselves about intentions it means the picture has captured life. The fact that all the corners are blurred at the insect comes from a misty background and then is sharply defined suffiently enough to be a real center of attention is excllent. I hate the current obsession with even clarity to the corners of lenses. This picture would be much less itneresting if it was uniformly sharp and everything could be identified.

Thank you. :)

The last picture, I guess is of a moth. I find it hard to "get it" as the moth does not have sufficent world around it. The picture seems to have insufficnt room to contain it. Now this is merely my own idiosyncratic response and is not meant to pass for some ruling of merit or otherwise.

I do wonder though how the photograph might look if the material around it were cloned to at least double the size of the picture without magnifying the moth. I do feel that this would not be a wasted excercise. Not a big issue, just me thinking out loud!

I suspect it is some kind of Midge as opposed to a Moth. Once again feel free to edit my pics and repost....

Thanks so much for sharing your expertise in macro photography. I do love your work!

Asher

BTW, where on earth did you find your subjects?

Thanks much, Asher! It is amazing what is all around us if you truly look. When I first starting shooting Macro, I couldn't find much to shoot. Now there is so much! You eyes become "opened" the more you do this. I can spend hours in a 10'x10' area and find hundreds of subjects.

Jody Melanson

Great macro work Jody, espcially getting decent DOF for such great magnification.

What's your effective f-stop with all that glass attached?

- DL

Thank you Don. Apparently when shooting with the reversed 50, it is just a piece of magnified glass since it is in front of the proper facing Sigma 150. I have my Sigma set to F20 or F22 for the reverse shots usually. This gives me around 1-2mm DOF.

Jody Melanson

Asher,

Entomology is not my area of biological expertise. The top critter looks to me more like a mite than a chigger... but that doesn't mean much. I could make a feeble attempt to key out an identification, if I was at home with all of my bug ID guide books sitting in front of me, but I'm spending a few days at a friend's house, with no access to any insect ID tomes.

Sorry.

Thank you Mike. It has been identified on another forum as a Spider Mite.

Jody Melanson

Wel done! Which adaptor ring did you use to mount the reversed 50mm? What is the approx. magnification factor you achieve on the sensor?

The images you've shown seem to have been downsampled a reasonable amount, so I assume you have a decent coverage of your sensor array. Can you use the full (1.3 crop) sensor array image, or do you still need to crop out the vignetted corners?

Bart

I purchased all my rings from http://www.camerafilters.com/pages/macrorings.aspx

I am getting over 5x times with this setup. I have a friends borrowed MP-E65 and I am getting higher than 5x in comparison. With my setup, if I focus my Sigma 150 to infinity, I get around 3/8" full frame. When I turn my focus ring as close as possible, I get just over 1/8" full frame.

I don't get any vignetting if I use the 3 tubes.

Thanks! :)

Jody Melanson

For bug identification I usually use either BugGuide or Discover Life. BugGuide is unfortunately for North American critters only. I have the same questions Bart asked. What adapter ring did you use and what is your guesstimate of the achieved magnification? Great work!

Thank you Jeffery, I had the link for Bugguide, but not Discover Life. Check my response earlier for the details on gear and magnification please.

Asher,

Entomology is not my area of biological expertise. The top critter looks to me more like a mite than a chigger... but that doesn't mean much. ...

Hi Mike,

IIRC the chigger is the larval form of a mite. <smile>

Hi Jody,

If you are in North America (US, CAN, MEX), check out http://bugguide.net/ for insect ID help. Albeit, the shallow DoF here can make a species ID hard or impossible without many shots of the same specimen showing different features. And even then some specimens need to be looked at under a microscope by an expert to ID the species (spiders come to mind here).

enjoy your day,

Sean

Jody,

I am humbled by the incredibly artistic quality of these already extreme Macro shots. Very innovative, very well done... I agree with Asher about the last image (of the gnat/whatever it is) feeling a bit cramped, but all of them are beautiful.