• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Starry, starry night...

Cem_Usakligil

..round midnight.

All C&C welcome.

img_32237_0_182510818-O.jpg

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
I like it!

So where was it taken? How'd you take it? Stars are so brilliant! Love the light at the end of the trail. Leads me right there and the light on the building too.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Kathy and anyone in S. CA, look to the North-East this weekend, late Sunday night and 2 hours before dawn Monday! We will be passing through the debris of the comet that we go through each August. Where's the best place? Who will take pictures?

Perseid Meteor Shower Aug. 13 pre-dawn look NE 60/hr Best seen in USA at least, in the Pacific NW Source

Drive out of town perhaps. I'm thinking of Palm Springs where the air might be clearer?

Asher

P.S. Anywhere else on the globe, will you be watching and taking pictures?

Cem_Usakligil

So where was it taken? How'd you take it? Stars are so brilliant! Love the light at the end of the trail. Leads me right there and the light on the building too.
Hi Kathy,

This is a very small old town called Boisson in Southern France. Not very far away from Arles where Vincent van Gogh lived for a while ;-).

I took it with a 5D & 24-105 L F4 IS USM mounted on a tripod. I have made multiple exposures to get a HDR composite, but it turned out to be a bad solution (when I did the HDR at home) since the stars moved during the shooting. So I kept the most promising exposure in RAW and copied parts of the statue from another exposure using masked layers. The rest is achieved by adjusting highlight/shadow development from the RAW file.

Cheers,

Paint your palette blue and grey,
Look out on a summer's day,
With eyes that know the darkness in my soul.
Shadows on the hills,
Sketch the trees and the daffodils,
Catch the breeze and the winter chills,
In colors on the snowy linen land.
(Don McLean - Vincent)