• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Panasonic Digital Photo Academy

Looking forward this week, I will be attending the advanced class of the Panasonic sponsored Digital Photography Academy (DPA) in Chicago. The DPA is a monthly series of classes for all skill levels with a local pro - you can find out more here.

The advanced class in Chicago this weekend is with Steve Grubman, who (among other things) worked on the set of the movie Charlotte's Web. The class features a maximum size of 15 students (minimum 5) and 8 hrs. of instruction for $150.

I am excited to go on a guided photographic tour of a small portion of what I consider a great city, Chicago, with a pro in his own backyard!

I'll report back next week on my experiences. In the meantime, has anyone taken any of the DPA courses or even thought about it?

Bust!

Got an email last night that the class was cancelled "due to an unexpected lack of availability of our studio space".

So, if anyone has had any experience with these classes, it would be nice to hear what your experience was so I know if I should get my money back or go ahead and reschedule!?!

Finally!

So I rescheduled for this past Saturday (11/10). The class got rescheduled with Darren Hauck instead of Steve Grubman.

Darren is a freelance photo journalist (http://www.dhauckphoto.com/) and our class spent some time on a wonderful day at Navy Pier in Chicago.

Here is my "strongest" photo from the day. Interestingly, it was one of the very first photos I took.

The color image was converted using the channel mixer and I dodged the poodle as well:

dpa.jpg

Overall, it was a day well spent with a pro photographer in a prime location. It was inspirational to see how fast a photojournalist is with a camera.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ed I do like the picture in B&W as it simplifies and the dog is able to be the unquestionable center of attention. I wonder how it was in color, and maybe, at least for Nicolas Claris, you might share the original. Did you, BTW, plan for B&W or was this an after thought.

Were you given any instructions of guide before being sent off to photograph on the pier?

A small point, can one make out the dog's eye's? I'm not asking because I believe they should be visible, I just wonder whether the dark fur is obscuring them?

Asher

When shooting, because of the backlight, I anticipated the image might work better in B&W. I usually prefer to lower the saturation rather than convert to B&W, but in this case, the dog's fur pops out more in B&W.

The dogs eyes are very dark. But you have a point, it might be less distracting if I lighten them some?

Ray West

Hi Edward,

Probably preaching to the choir, here, but in reality, the dog's eye area would be darker than its nose, since the light is behind the animal. It would be like I see it. However, we expect to see certain things, associated with our previous concepts, we work by a system of touchstones. Scale/size comes into it. (plus how our monitors render colours, what is nearby - optical illusions, etc.)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it may take a fair bit of skill, to get it to look right for me and my view on the subject, compared to Asher, say. (Maybe just lighten one eye ;-).

It is often necessary to alter colours/contrast to compensate for the scale of the image. If the final destination is a large print, then there already may be enough detail in the dark area to distinguish the pupil.

Best wishes,

Ray