• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

One possible solution for MKIII Autofocus issues in high temperatures :))

John Harper

Hi There

Looking at Rob Galbraiths site and the ongoing saga of the MKIII AF problems in high temperatures here is someones take on a solution

MKIII Cool

Wonder if it effects the battery life? and will it still fit in a Wimberley head !

Looks like Nikon has some catching up to do again :)

John

John_Nevill

Offsets the weight advantage!

I've now tried two MkIIIs and they both exhibited the focus issue, the first one one as per my earlier post, while the second had the new firmware.

I again used the second one in direct comparison to the MkIIN, while shooting dark birds of prey slowly gliding towards me against a bright green background. The MkIIN was superior at maintaining focus using a EF70-200 f2.8L IS. Conditions were hot, sunny and sidelit.

Offsets the weight advantage!

I've now tried two MkIIIs and they both exhibited the focus issue, the first one one as per my earlier post, while the second had the new firmware.

I again used the second one in direct comparison to the MkIIN, while shooting dark birds of prey slowly gliding towards me against a bright green background. The MkIIN was superior at maintaining focus using a EF70-200 f2.8L IS. Conditions were hot, sunny and sidelit.

John, VERY good information (because it is coming from trusted source), thanks very much for the post.

BTW, this is a little OT but I've been meaning to ask if you have tried SilkyPix and what your opinion was. I've been using SilkyPix for a couple of months now and am very pleased, especially with rendered landscapes; this is not to say SilkyPix is only good for one thing and one thing only, just that the program produces noticeably "excellent" landscapes (e.g. nice greens). Also FWIW the program does a good job of detail extraction without a lot of (1) associated noise or (2) the creation of aliasing errors when shooting feathers. Unfortunately SilkyPix is somewhat slow compared to RSP. Anyway, I'm interested in your opinion (assuming you have one), thanks.

Joe

Steve Saunders

Good one John. I've yet to have problems with my MkIII in hot weather this summer for the simple reason that we haven't really had any. Hot weather days this year in Ireland are even rarer than the 1DMkIII itself.

Good one John. I've yet to have problems with my MkIII in hot weather this summer for the simple reason that we haven't really had any. Hot weather days this year in Ireland are even rarer than the 1DMkIII itself.

Consider yourself lucky Steve. The last two days have been pretty tough where I live (area of Phoenix, Arizona, USA), the temps have been 113 °F and up. It is so hot I can't find ducks dumb enough to come out from under the shade to photograph. I wonder what the round-trip air fair to Ireland is?

Regards,

Joe Kurkjian