• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My hometown in HDR

Cem_Usakligil

Hi All,

As I wrote in this thread earlier, I have walked around my hometown yesterday evening. The light was amazing and I was so lucky to be at the right place at the right time; equipped with my tripod and camera ;-).

Here are some pictures I took, all of them HDR composites. They are built from 3 exposures and the Photomatix software.

The old harbour.
img_32535_0_184811209-O.jpg

The end of the "line". The harbour was unfortunately filled in the sixties.
img_32535_1_184811223-O.jpg

The harbour with the now capped chimney (used to be taller).
img_32535_2_184811233-O.jpg

The largest ethyl alcohol factory in Europe; Royal Nedalco next to the harbour entrance.
img_32535_3_184811189-O.jpg

Please feel free to C&C.

Thanks foor looking,

Cheers,

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Cem

I love the 1st one "The Old Harbour" it leapt off the screen at me, superb colours, I know nothing about the technique using 3 exposures or the Photomatix software, any further information or suggested reading? I'd be interested to learn more........

Please feel free to C&C.

Well done Cem. You've demonstrated that HDR with restrained tonemapping will capture the mood without looking artificial. I like the first one best, and the number 3 (with the clouds on fire) second best, although I'd crop that one a bit at the bottom and lighten the shadows a little.

Bart

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Bart,

Did you mean something like this?

img_32540_0_184820693-O.jpg

It was a very good tip, thanks. I like this version much better myself ;-).

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Cem

I love the 1st one "The Old Harbour" it leapt off the screen at me, superb colours, I know nothing about the technique using 3 exposures or the Photomatix software, any further information or suggested reading? I'd be interested to learn more........

Thanks Janet, I am trying :).

HDR in general and Photomatix in specific would be very difficult to describe in just a few words here. I'll do some source gathering and post some links here real soon.

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

Cem, shadows and crop are better IMHO, but you lost a bit of highlight contrast. Maybe the tonemapping of the original, with a bit of Highlight and Shadows correction, to the shadows only would strike a better balance.

Bart
OK, I did just that. What about this one? (three times is.....)

img_32544_0_184826860-O.jpg

Regards,

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Another WOW

Another WOW from the peanut gallery. That is incredibly beautiful

Is the port you have the photo of where cruiseships dock?

Cem_Usakligil

..Is the port you have the photo of where cruiseships dock?
Hi Kathy,

Remind me again please which photo of mine are you referring to? I might have posted some pictures of Antwerp ("My little dinghy") or some from Rotterdam with both having huge harbors (the largest two in Europe actually). But this one, I am afraid, is not even suitable for a dinghy since its access has been cut off some 40 yrs ago <LOL>.

Cheers,

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Is this where the ships dock?

The largest ethyl alcohol factory in Europe; Royal Nedalco next to the harbour entrance.

Cem, is this where the cruise ships dock?

For those who are curious why I ask, next June I will be in Belguim and Amsterdam via cruise ship and Cem and I are hoping to meet.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Kathy,

No, it is not. Nedalco have another factory at Gent harbour, now I understand where your confusion comes from. It is just a coincidence that I live in the town where one of the factories and the HQ are located and work in another town where they are also present ;-).

Cheers,