• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Mr Studio One gear..any good?

John_Nevill

Sean,

Mr Studio One's gear is definitely cheap and their feedback looks favourable

I'm also considering buying some studio strobes and have started the research and review trail.

I'm relatively new to what's currently around, its been a few years since I owned studio gear so before I bury myself, maybe another OPF member could give us some much needed advice.

I looked at Mr Studio One's products, 180w and 300w strobes, packaged in kits with soft boxes, and umbrellas etc. Prices range between £180 and £300 inc. postage.

These prices are comparable to Falconeye and Interfit starter kits, whereas Bowens and Elinchrom starter kits are ~£430. Both of the latter are made better, yeild more consistent ouput and recycle quicker.

Comparing Mr One's, 300w strobes against the 200w Geminis (in the Bowens starter kit) and you'll notice a big difference in recycle time, the Mr One's are up to 5s full power recycle against 1.3s for the Geminis.

Going the next level up, say spending £1000 on two heads, softbox, umbrellas, stands etc, really starts to open up the options, depending up what you want to do.

I'm thinking of getting into pet portraits, still life and maybe head / shoulder portraits. I have a one of two smallish rooms available, one is 17ft x 8ft and the other could be 11ft x 8ft (partially converted garage). I may also want portability for client locations shoots .

So i've couple of options based on ~£1000 outlay. I could go for the more digitally controllable strobes (Bowens DX) or stick with the manual ones (Bowens Geminis) and get a battery pack.

As for output, I'm erring towards 500w, this will give me enough output for broad lighting via a wafer or large softbox and provide lots of controllability e.g. stepless 5 fstops with proportinal modelling.

I mustn't forget the light meter, a decent sekonic will cost ~£200. This brings the outlay to ~£1200.

Do any of the pros think this is OTT or out of kilter, guidance muchly appreciated!

Pierre Gagne

Has anyone has used any of the strobes that Mr Studio One sells on ebay.

http://stores.ebay.com/Mr-Studio-One
Beware of Mr Studio, they are not honest. I have purchase equipment from them and it fail after only a few weeks.

They also refuse to help me, and after telling me they had mailed replacement item, they turn around and said NO, they would not replace it.

I agree with John and buy good equipment, it will cost more but will last longer and the quality of the light will be better and constant.

After my bad experience whith Mr Studio, I purchase a set of White Lighting flashs and never look back. I spend more, but the quality of the light is better, recycle time let's me get that shot, because I don't have to wait for a full charge. When taking pictures of childrens, short recycle time is the best, and pay for itself in the long run.

My flashs never failled me, and the compagnie stand's behind their product, not like Mr Studio!

Pierre