• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Raft

Walter Feller

760-8552.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Walter,

Yes, I can imagine a raft. What is the story behind this picture and how dud you process it?

Asher

Walter Feller

Hi Walter,

Yes, I can imagine a raft. What is the story behind this picture and how dud you process it?

Asher

A group of pelicans is sometimes referred to as a raft. I had spent a few days visiting the estuary in Morro Bay, CA. I was concentrating on tide pools but slung my d70 over my shoulder with a 70-300 the second morning and shot this handheld at the crack of dawn. The bird shots came out better- oh well, so much for thinking.

I adjusted the levels a bit and boosted the contrast- USM ( like the painting-like effect ). The lighting was fantastic.

Later the morning went gray and I pulled this out;

760bw-8538.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Walter,

How was the raft of pelicans captured? Was it film or digital and is this orignally a jpg or a RAW file?

I ask since I have been looking at this for some while and wondering whether the one bird in the foreground with spread wings might be set apart from the others as the main focus of the image. but perhaps that goes against your idea of the unity of one raft of pelicans. I was exploring this change in composition since I feel that we need more width perhaps for this particular composition you have chosen to work at its best. That's just my thought.

Also, there seems to be a lot more detail possible in the hills in below the skyline.

In any case this is fascinating. I have never seen so many pelicans on the water, although I have seen them line up on woodern wharf structures.

At sunset that is striking!

Asher