• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

D3 and D300 TBA in a few days

Steve Saunders

Got this on the Nikon DSLR Group forums;

"By August 23rd,, Nikon Is going to announce those 2 bodies and
some new pro lenses.!! Got this information today and I am 99.9% sure about
it accuracy.
In the store probably November.
The day of the announcement was planned awhile ago.
The camera will have some new "revolutionary features"
and my source said: " It will beat Canon mark III at high iso noise quality""

I've heard talk of built-in WIFI and full frame for the D3 as well. Time will tell...

Joel Schochet

Let's not forget (so soon!) the D300

If the D300 produces the same noise-free high ISO images as those from a Canon 1DIII, it will be a bargain at $1,800 for event work. I'm looking forward to finding out.

These are great times for photography, with significant announcements by Canon and Nikon; and Sony about to introduce a full-frame DSLR, as well. It's just becoming near to impossible to blame the equipment any more.

Marc Hankins

I must say, even as a Canon owner, I find this all VERY exciting (I'm sad like that)! Nikon today has brought out a whole amazing lineup, even with the lenses. I'd love to see the 4-stop IS in those super-teles work, it did wonders in the 70-300 VR. Also the zoom 14mm 2.8 lens looks really impressive as well.

Now the Canon pro lineup has some REAL competition, and I loves it! This is a good time for someone wanting to start afresh right now, so much quality to choose from!

Paul Bestwick

pro member
Yes Marc, I am with you, most interesting indeed. You would have to think that at last another manufacturer is challenging Canon. & at a lower price point.
Surely, this must serve to drive the stupidly high prices to a more reasonable level.

Steve Saunders

The D3 looks very exciting. Almost FF (they call it FX, 36x23.9mm) and it has dual CF slots, up to 11 fps (9 fps in full-frame), when you use DX lenses the camera automatically uses a smaller area of the sensor and displays the image area so you can't go wrong. This way your DX glass won't become obsolete any time soon. Live View WITH AF when the mirror is up. This is a very important camera and at $5000 makes the Canon 1DsIII look very expensive at an extra 2k for really just more pixels.

Steve Saunders

If the D3 really is as good or better than the 1DIII at high ISO, I might start regretting changing from Nikon to Canon. Sample images (real world ones) will definitely be required asap.

Herman Teeuwen

If the D3 really is as good or better than the 1DIII at high ISO, I might start regretting changing from Nikon to Canon. Sample images (real world ones) will definitely be required asap.

It looks very promising. I noticed this reply from Bjorn Rorslett (http://www.naturfotograf.com), who is in Japan right now, on another forum.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Bjorn Rorslett wrote:
>
> The new D3 has high-ISO performance beyond what anyone could imagine
> possible. I could hardly believe my eyes.

Did they just announce those high numbers, or did they actually show pix
at lets say 12800?
Bernie
Bjorn Rorslett wrote:
I shot them myself. But since we were using pre-production cameras, the
practice as always is an embargo on the pictures.

Herman

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nikon has had great wide angle choices all the while. Now it also introduces a plethora of new lenses, all image stabilized. The 9,000 pixel (edit: maybe it's 1/3 of that, for RGB points) LCD means it is really might be perfect for checking focus!

We just need test images and if Nikon specs turn out to be valid with low high ISO noize, this November will be a major turning point for Nikon and everyone else!

Also we now can use Zeiss glass on this "full " camera.

I can see using one of these cameras for fashion, sports and weddings. (A lot of photographers love ther skin color that Nikons, Fuji, the Kodak 14N/C or the Canons yield. However, given the number of options for RAW processing, maybe this elusive characteristic is no longer camera-specific).

It's not competitive for Landscapes with MF but this is a damn good camera!

This announcement from Nikon is far more impressive than the appearance of the 1DIII and 1DsIII from Canon. The proof is in the pudding; we need pictures!

Asher

Last edited:

Herman Teeuwen

> The proof is in the pudding; we need pictures!

I absolutely agree Asher, but awaiting those pictures, a statement on high-iso performance by someone like Bjorn Rorslett (Nikon shooter, adept, 'insider', and lens freak) feels pretty reassuring in Nikon land :)

John_Nevill

I equally think that this is great news, I'd love to see some images, although I guess they are under NDA's due to current firmware status.

The retail prices of £1299 ($1799) for the D300 and £3399 ($4999) for the D3, look close(ish) to the Canon alternatives, but will no doubt drop below Canon's prices when they hit the streets.

So will Nikon bring out a 20+Mp 1DsMkIII contender? This would be very interesting.

Given the projected tightening of US and European financial economies, could we see a price war develop?, as Nikon and Canon battle it out to win customers.

However, getting back to the Nikon release, no less than 5 new pro lenses to compliment the bodies. Now that's committment!