• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hummingbirds at 20 paces.

Chris Dana

I got home and grabbed my camera and did my little "walk about" in the backyard. I do this almost every day to take pictures and just make sure everything is alright in the back (it's not big at all, so it doesn't take much time at all). I look at the garden and I see two hummingbirds (I think they were a mother and youngin') go rushing off. I curse myself for not looking up more quickly and move on. Check the garden, get some tomatoes, and walk back. I turn around to look at the garden again and see the two hummingbirds back. So I start shooting.

This is why I now love my new telephoto lens (Canon 70-200mm f/4L). I was approximately 30 feet away from the hummers. More will be coming as I get them processed. These were taken without a tripod, either and are either close to or are 100% crop. I know they're not the sharpest in the world, but I'm happy with them so far.

img-2-66.jpg

img-2-71.jpg

img-2-43.jpg

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Difficult Subject

Those hummingbirds are sure a difficult subject. Small, fast moving and they don't want us too close to them. My favorite is the one with the flowers....I like your idea of going into your yard daily to see what there is to shoot at!

Chris Dana

Asher,

As best as I can tell, they're ruby-throated hummingbirds. I don't really know of any other species of hummer that gets up into Michigan.