• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Eos 40D Beta Pictures Avaliable including ISO 3200!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Phil Askey over at Dpreview has posted images taken with the 40D. He has used the camera on a variety of subjects with different settings. The green bottle below is taken at ISO 3200!

img_0509.jpg

© 2007 Phil Askey (Image used for "fair used" editorial purpose)

I'm glad that DPReview is able to get the pictures out now. This camera, at first blush looks pretty good to me! Of course the full review will be exhaustive and interesting.

Phil has provided for examination large jpgs at various ISO levels here

Noise at ISO 3200 seems pretty mild. I'd say no different than ISO 1600 on my 1DII.

So, what do you think of these various images?

Asher

Remember these are from a pre-production model and the file is jpg, not RAW.

Marc Hankins

Hmm, I never realised that there were ISO 3200 shots floating around, silly me!

The green bottle isn't exactly the best type of photo to judge how good it actually is, but it's the best we have for now. Having a quick glance through it seems to retain more fine detail then a 30/20D would, and the chroma is about as good as 1600 was on previous models. However, both samples given are in fairly good light. Take that camera to a music gig and then we can really judge it.

Later on i may slap up an ISO 3200 30D shot just for reference if people want it.