• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

"Four Courts" In Dublin

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Bear,

I love the pictures indication of the past by reflecting the statue/monument from across the way! Could you tell us a little about both?

This is an imposing architectural work. Maybe you had a reason for cutting of the rest of the building? I for one, without knowing your purpose, would have wished for more. Also would it be possible to change one's position to get more of the scene of the monument as it is quite interesting as a compositional fauture and a time/style architectural reference.

Lastly, the picture is neither perfectly orthogonal not sharply falling away, so, to me at least, seems that it could be simple corrected in photogshop to be perfectly straight as this would strengthen the building form.

Interesting that you retained color in the reflections at the lower part of the picture. It hit me only after all the other impressionsm, so it works!

This is a magnificent structure to work on. Is it near you?

Asher

Bear,

I love the pictures indication of the past by reflecting the statue/monument from across the way! Could you tell us a little about both?
Will do later...

Maybe you had a reason for cutting of the rest of the building? I for one, without knowing your purpose, would have wished for more.

Simple purpose <grins> lack of right lense (the 7-14 would have been perfect for that case), no tripod with me and I had to shoot handheld exposure bracketing and on top under a lot of time pressure as I had to catch a flight and was goofing around through Dublin too long.

Also would it be possible to change one's position to get more of the scene of the monument as it is quite interesting as a compositional fauture and a time/style architectural reference.

Not without a boat or fisherman gear, and saftey lines, the river was inbetween me and the shot.

Interesting that you retained color in the reflections at the lower part of the picture. It hit me only after all the other impressionsm, so it works!
....good!.... <GRINS>

I'll post more later....

Jack_Flesher

Hi George:

Here's my take on it, worth less than two cents ;) ... I like the concept, but find many of the elements a bit confusing. I would:

1) correct all of the lines so they are vertical and horizontal;

2) trim off the left building -- sets of three similar geometries generally carry more impact than more (and the one close pair is so super-imposed on each other, I think it qualifies as one compositionally);

3) get rid of the color or make it all color -- I find the mix inconsistent;

4) Change the frame -- it needs to be clean to match the lines of the image IMO.

5) In the end, the clouds (or lack of them) bother me a bit for such a dark sky. In a future version, I would probably leave the sky lighter, or ideally, wait for more clouds to form. If possible to re-shoot, I would try a wider lens and compose in the vertical.

Here is my 3 minute altered version:

george.jpg

Again, my .02 only offered FWIW...

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

Reminds me of Michelangelo's reported quip to a woman who was amazed how the famous sensitive "David" could be created out of stone.

"Just removing the excess stone, David was in there all the time!".

"They demonstrate Michelangelo's approach to carving: he conceived of the figure as being imprisoned in the block; by removing excess stone, the form was released." Source

So Bear,

You building has inside it more than first apparent!

Jack discarded excess pixels, LOL!

Asher

Hi Jack,

what can I say... you nailed it!
3d-read.gif
Textbook Stuff!

As for the wider lense, big times, I know. I have to get that 7-14mm at some stage.

I like the crop much better now, much stronger composition.

I still like the mix of color and b&w, but it certainly is just a gimmick.

As for straightening the lines, I must have done something wrong. I used the measure tool, and followed a straight line on the roof, took the angle and rotated accordingly. Doh?

Now, can I sit beside you for a week and develop/print a few pictures? <grins>

I have some more shots from that, but I am in the midst of migrating and reorganzing data, installed CS3 and Lightroom today so that keeps me from posting more the next few days.

Excellent advise, thanks a lot Jack!

Asher Kelman

Bear,

If you can leave behind your wonderful Irish seashore, Jack's workshop on Landscape in stunning Yosemite will be a most enthralling and worthwhile experience.

I know since I spent a short while with him showing his various LF cameras and shooting one old building by the Northern Californian coast.

Just a thought! :)

Asher

Disclosure: Jack is going to give me his Ebony camera and 6 lenses if I plug his landscape workshop!

If you can leave behind your wonderful Irish seashore, Jack's workshop on Landscape in stunning Yosemite will be a most enthralling and worthwhile experience.

I know.... I know.... sigh, you have no idea how much I would love to be able to go there, but I am not in the position to do so in the foreseeable future.

One of these days....

Steve Saunders

Well I get to see that building every day in real-life, and it looks much better in the pictures here! BTW I remember reading somewhere that the glass in the building pictured is self-cleaning. I still can't figure how that's possible with all the traffic fumes from the gridlocked vehicles just have to be fuming up the windows. Plus all the poohawks (sorry Seagulls) doing bombing runs all day.

Well I get to see that building every day in real-life, and it looks much better in the pictures here! BTW I remember reading somewhere that the glass in the building pictured is self-cleaning. I still can't figure how that's possible with all the traffic fumes from the gridlocked vehicles just have to be fuming up the windows. Plus all the poohawks (sorry Seagulls) doing bombing runs all day.

Hi Steve,

this is something I looked into for our house as well, lazy as I am, and considering not to be able to clean them myself when old.

It really works, with a little help from nano technology. All you need is water, and that we have plenty in Ireland. <grins>

The glas has a nano-scale coating of microcrystalline titanium oxide which reacts to daylight, then this reaction breaks down filth on the glass, with no need for detergent. When water hits it, a hydrophilic effect is created, so water and dirt slide off.

Pretty kewl stuff!