• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Novice question: What is the biggest lens available?

Jeff Donovan

I attended the New England Patriots/NY Giants football game last night and was struck by the size of the lens one of the photographers was carrying around.

I was wondering what is the biggest zoom lens one could possibly buy? Some net searches have shown me a 2000mm Nikkor that is almost like putting a telescope on your camera.

This is a blurry photo of the photographers, they are right near the corner of the field and the cameras/lenses are on monopods

189985089-M.jpg

Marc Hankins

The largest current lens around is the Canon 1600mm f/5.6 I believe. There is also the siggy 300-800mm f/5.6. I think the Nikon 2000mm is a discontinued lens, was it even an AF lens? I can't remember that.

Just to add some information, Marc's link shows the Canon EF 1200mm f/5.6. There is quite a bit of info on the net about this lens (no need for me to elaborate) but I do think, apart form the one-off Zeiss 1700mm (big ugly monster) the Canon 1200mm is the biggest commercially available camera lens with auto-focus (to my knowledge).

Of course, Hubble also has autofocus :) "focus by wire" just like the older Canon USM lenses :)

Just for some added interest: The largest lens I own is a vintage Tokina 800mm f/8 which I play with now and then, and it's somewhat longer (though not heavier) than Canon's largest commonly available lens: 600mm f/4L

Tokina_800mm_f1_8_lens_by_philosomatographer.jpg

Hi Kathy,

Yes, on a 400mm f/4 prime, with a 2x TC, one would get the same combination (not on the 100-400, as that would yield a 800mm f/11). On any of the Canons, one would probably get better image quality too - especially a 2x TC on the fabulous(ly expensive and big) 400mm f/2.8. The Tokina is just an old curiosity...

Off topic, but on the image on the Nikon 1700mm zoom page, there are some very interesting-looking Nikon lenses in the bottom right corner - short, very very wide constructions. What are they?

12001700groupview.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

Off topic, but on the image on the Nikon 1700mm zoom page, there are some very interesting-looking Nikon lenses in the bottom right corner - short, very very wide constructions. What are they?
The white one looks like a Canon spy in a Nikon encampment to me, one not particuarly succesful in camouflage! <LOL>

Cheers,

John Sheehy

Just to add some information, Marc's link shows the Canon EF 1200mm f/5.6. There is quite a bit of info on the net about this lens (no need for me to elaborate) but I do think, apart form the one-off Zeiss 1700mm (big ugly monster) the Canon 1200mm is the biggest commercially available camera lens with auto-focus (to my knowledge).

The native autofocus, native IS, and 1-stop speed over a 600mm f/4L with a 2x TC are probably the only benefits. Looking at the MTFs, the 600x2 should outperform the 1200 optically at all common apertures (f/8 and smaller).

The native autofocus, native IS, and 1-stop speed over a 600mm f/4L with a 2x TC are probably the only benefits. Looking at the MTFs, the 600x2 should outperform the 1200 optically at all common apertures (f/8 and smaller).

Hi John,

Not sure if I understood you correctly, but the Canon 1200mm does not, in fact, have IS. So, apart from one stop speed loss, a 600mm with 2x TC should, in all respects, give a superior shooting experience. The 1200mm monster is one of Canon's "king of the hill" lenses which I do not desire. (unlike the 50mm f/1.0 [just for the heck of it, even though it's soft] and the 200mm f/1.8 [what a masterpiece]).

Cone on guys....! Any insight as to the funny-looking Nikon lens in the bottom right of the posted lens picture? The massively wide, flat dome.

Marc Hankins

My first thought also. But it's diameter challenges that of the Nikon 600mm! I really would love to get more info on that lens.

Oooh, I've seen stuff on that lens, it was one of Nikons first ever fisheye lenses I think. My dad has a catalog from the 70's and i remember seeing that. I'll have a hunt for it later and tell you what I find out.

[EDIT] Yeah, apparently it's from the 60's or something, not the 70's. I wont be able to get the catalog any time soon it seems. But yeah, tis an old old fisheye.

John Harper

Hi John,

Not sure if I understood you correctly, but the Canon 1200mm does not, in fact, have IS. So, apart from one stop speed loss, a 600mm with 2x TC should, in all respects, give a superior shooting experience. The 1200mm monster is one of Canon's "king of the hill" lenses which I do not desire. (unlike the 50mm f/1.0 [just for the heck of it, even though it's soft] and the 200mm f/1.8 [what a masterpiece]).

Cone on guys....! Any insight as to the funny-looking Nikon lens in the bottom right of the posted lens picture? The massively wide, flat dome.

Hi David

The lens you mention is the Nikon 6mm fisheye lens i believe it had an angle of view greater than 180 degrees so you could get a shot of something behind your eyeline.

Link to some info on it here

Thank you John! Wow, what an interesting lens. You know, I have seen photos where I was sure it represented an angle of view greater than 180 degrees, now I know how they were made!

John Sheehy

Hi John,

Not sure if I understood you correctly, but the Canon 1200mm does not, in fact, have IS.

Sorry, I thought it did. Well, maybe the AF still works better than 600+2x, but even then, maybe not!

It must be a must-have lens for people who like to show how much money they have (or pretend to, while they drown in debt)!