• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

OK, What Level of Talent is Expected?

Rachel Foster

There are some extremely talented people here. That draws me like honey, flies, etc. Other people have recently posted that they rarely post due to the high talent level.

I'm new to the board. I'm not all that aware of board culture yet. Hence, the current post.

Is this a board for experts or is it for all levels (even wet-behind-the-ears like me)? In my area of expertise, I find that giving suggestions/advice/critique to the less-expert all the way to novice helps me more thoroughly identify and articulate what's right and what's wrong in my own work. I become more clear on my goals and my underlying assumptions.

Is this the case on OPF also? Or is it for experts only? Please answer honestly. If I posting out of turn, I truly would like to know. I've no desire to violate board expectations.

Thanks.

Don Lashier

Rachel, everyone is welcome here. The more experienced folks love to help beginners. If you don't believe me just search for posts or threads by Mary Bull. Knowledge is a two way exchange and Mary, for example, brought at least as much to the forum as she took away. Please stay - you are more than welcome here.

- DL

Rachel Foster

Thank you, Don....I plan on it! I only wanted to make sure I was not violating the forum "culture." I have learned a great deal while I've been here. And I'm not shy about asking for help. (Do you think anyone noticed that? Ha!)

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Bonsoir Rachel

when we did decide to set-up OPF, Asher, Michael Tapes and I, the main idea was "OPEN"…

May I suggest a read or re-read the welcoming words of Asher, which are still on our front page… Worth reading, you'll get what drives us all here on board our nice craft OPF:

Welcome!

We’re open to everyone serious about the best, the practical and the finest in photography. Our goal is to enhance the discussion and exchange of ideas on photography.

Here there’s more; we have left the noise ands clatter of the 100’s of new cameras of the day. Here we're dedicated to that personal vision built into your extraordinary picture. This we call an “Arc of Intent”. Its appreciation by a viewer completes that creative arc. That's what we are about and every technique and choice that achieves our goal! Then your picture enthralls and captivates, moves and demands it be revisited time and again.

We established OPF May 2006 as an open forum for professional and enthusiast photographers worldwide. You will find the latest discussions on technology, creativity, function and other issues related to photography. Furthermore, these threads are moderated and reviewed by expert photographers.

We are a true community of photographers with real names and common interests and experience. OPF is a community of thinkers and doers, dedicated to the working Professional and the creative mind.

OPF members hail from the Americas and Europe but also in China, Iran, India New Zealand, Australia, UAE and many other places I have not visited and to me are exotic with images I learned form books and films.

At OPF, we consider the whole thin membrane of life on the planet and the lives of individual lovers and the humming bird our frame of reference. This is true whether we photograph skyscrapers or school sports, weddings or yachts at sea and we do all this and more!

We want to reach out, not because we are politically correct; I am not! Rather we would like to be updated, educated and brought into line with issues that you think about.

Still we also nurture the dedicated photographer learning the digital workflow or making a Polaroid or Platinum print. Above all we are concerned with what is in the image, not just the things, but also the ideas, feelings and even life itself.

Please make this your home and post in the forums of your choosing. On behalf the entire OPF photography team, I wish you a great forum experience. Thank you for your participation, interest and for being here. Jump in and show us what you love! What you have trouble with too!

Asher Kelman February 2007

17 months later, I find nothing to add…

Last edited:

Rachel Foster

It's a lovely philosophy and a welcoming post. I'm glad the forum has indeed developed consistent with your vision, and also deeply appreciative.

When I become passionate about something it's often with an intensity that can be frightening. I sense there are others here like that about photography.

That said, I'm going to try to shut up for a day and let someone else post!

Each person is an individual, hence has natural individual abilities or qualities, call it talent if you like.

It is a little bit like in traditional AiKiDo Training, white belts and 7th Dan, all train together.

The roles change in succession, "Nage" and "Uke", Attacker and Defender, which means the one who holds a 7th Dan will be student and trainer at the same time, the same is true for white belt, in addition, the 68 years old trains with the 18 years old as well.

Each allowing the other to get better at their techniques and help the other to refine his. I always considered this to be a sophisticated and advanced way of learning and exchange, besides, it allows for a very constructive and peaceful atmosphere.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Balancing posting new photography with new questions!

Let me add a note of caution.

Read my post here

Thanks everyone!

Asher

Last edited: