• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

new to forum!!

Hello out there !
I am new to the forum , I heard good things about this place so here I am I am listing my artist statement hope that is O.K.
I do most of my work on sheet film but I am not afraid to use a digital from time to time, most of my printing is done using Alt processes mainly Cyanotype, Kallitype and Ziatypes .
I am out of the West Valley .
my site is gcastilla.com and I also have some Images on Flicker .
artist statement:

I see photography as an open-ended world, where styles and conventions command to be explored. I take ordinary objects and shapes and put them together in ways where something entirely different is born, and what is seen is more than what meets the eye.

I don’t see myself as just an ordinary portrait or landscape photographer, but rather an artist that discovers new ways of seeing and I delight in expressing myself through my work.

I began creating photographs at the age of ten years old, and have had a passion for photography ever since. While I have worked in various areas of photography throughout my 35-year career, including family portraiture, editorial, social, and event photography, I have always taken a particular interest in environmental portraiture, the human body, still life, and abstracts.

I strive to represent my feelings and emotions, using photography as the medium. My intention is to share whatever that vision may be! I look at subjects with an eye toward beauty, and I see the world as a place of possibilities and enchantment.

I find that historical (sometimes called “alternative”) processes lend themselves to my vision of the world. In addition, I prefer to work with large format cameras, including my Deardorff V8, Burke & James 5X7, and late 19th century lenses, due to the authentic qualities these tools bring to the final result. I select only the finest of materials to ensure the highest quality of my prints.

When doing portraits, my goal is to create wildly vivid representations, capturing the spirit of my clients in such a way that their very essence of who they are comes to life in what seemingly is a two dimensional piece of art, yet becomes a living heirloom.

-Gustavo Castilla

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
Greetings Gustavo, love the portraits on your site. I see the link I sent you to this site worked OK.

Call me a call when you get a chance.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Close By

Hi Gustavo

Welcome to OPF. I have seen your work before, but I am wondering where - an ad maybe. Any way, I am just down the 101 by a very short few miles so perhaps we will have to plan some kind of OPF gathering.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Gustavo,

An impressive entry as I've wandered through your gallery and I like your work as it adds to Jin Collum's strength in handmade prints with good real chemical processes that we need to learn from! He does platinum prints and also a lot of IR photography with his M8.

There is a comeback to the basic photography imaging esthetic in a number of photography schools. This is encouraging as we do not want to lose this great source of rich photography nor the MFRs who supply the materials.

We'll meet soon, I'm sure as I'm just down the 405 Freeway!

Asher

Thanks for the warm welcome

Thanks for the warm welcome and comments
For those Interested I am planing to do a work shop out of my house or the Viva gallery soon
I think I will start with Cyanotype as it is a basic and not to expensive processes to get started with
If Interested drop me a line and will get it going !