• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Love of My Life

Nicole Sanders

BobBW9-16-07.jpg

Bobshadow_edited.jpg

These are a couple of photos I have taken of my fiance.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Nicole,

Congratulations!

In layback café it is not terrible if you don't give technical details since that is after all a relaxed kick back place. Here, however, folks are going to have to put your image into PS or some other software to learn what equipment and settings you chose. So, it's a great idea to provide details so others can try out your technic if they want or just understand better your approach. Experienced photographers may not need this.

Your first picture is rather rough in composition. May I call it a snap shot? If this was the one opportunity to capture an image of a famous person and this was a photojournalist's dream scoop, a "money shot" then it would certainly be not only valuable but praiseworthy. However as a portrait, does the b.g. add anything to the image of your fiancée himself? Now, if that b.g. does indeed reflect some of the style, characteristic of his life, then maybe, it's perfect as is.

That's why pictures are best introduced with a contextual setting. What was the occaision of the first shot?

Now the second image is remarkable in how it is different! He is lit with some care. This picture shows some intent and vision on your post. Was this window light? What was the b.g.? Did you use reflectors etc and what gear did you have for this?

I must say I really enjoy these 2 pictures as they are so personal and special. The last picture seems to show a thoughtful and considerate person.

Again best wishes to you both......and one more thing, Nicole, what's the lucky man's name?

Asher

Nicole Sanders

For the first photo I used an Olympus Stylus 710 all-weather, 7.1 megapixal camera. I honestly don't know a lot about cameras so I am just reading this off from the camera itself. lol. We were walking through the park and I liked the way the sun hit him so took a snapshot. I like how he is looking off into the distance (down the river).

The second photo was taken with a Kodak EasyShare Z740 with 10x zoom. He is sitting on the couch in the living room... the room is dark and the light is from the laptop computer that he is looking at. lol. Hope that info doesn't ruin the mood of it.

Is this the info I am supposed to give?

... His name is Bob by the way. :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The second shot, Nicole is one to be happy with!

Now we'll see more images lit this way!

The rest of the information you can find by going to Photoshop and looking under "FILE" from the top menu bar and going down the drop-down menu to File Info. One click to Exif and you can read the ISO, Shutter Speed and f stop!

Also it will give the focal length that your zoom lens actually used.

I am impressed with the second shot! You used the light well! You had the vision, took the opportunty and framed what you wanted and the picture works! Kudos.

Asher

P.S. Another point in favor of digicams!

Nicole Sanders

Ah,

2nd picture:
ISO speed ratings: 80
F-stop: 5/3.0
Shutter Speed: 0.5 seconds

1st picture:
ISO speed ratings: 64
F-stop: f/3.4
Shutter Speed: doesn't say (blank)

:)