• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

I wish....

Rachel Foster

I realize this wish of mine is a result of me being so new, so eager to "show what I've done" even though I'm not even close to being up to snuff as yet. So, while I know this likely does not fit a forum such as OPF -- full of extremely talented, knowledgeable photographers -- I wish there were a forum where we could just post whatever we've done that we want to share. It wouldn't critique nor would it imply it's "good."

That said, I understand it doesn't fit here. But, I wish. . . .

Diane Fields

I realize this wish of mine is a result of me being so new, so eager to "show what I've done" even though I'm not even close to being up to snuff as yet. So, while I know this likely does not fit a forum such as OPF -- full of extremely talented, knowledgeable photographers -- I wish there were a forum where we could just post whatever we've done that we want to share. It wouldn't critique nor would it imply it's "good."

That said, I understand it doesn't fit here. But, I wish. . . .

Rachel,

If you join Pbase, for instance, you can post there, share, ask for critiques. I think you can do the same with Flicker--though not a forum exactly. And there are many other places--gosh, how could I forget. Just share in the Samples and Gallery forum of dpreview.com. Another is photography on the net--a Canon forum place primarily
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6 and choose the correct forum for sharing. There are oodles of places like that--where you can ask for a critique or just share. I'd do a google search asking for photo sharing forums--or just photography forums and then explore if they have a 'sharing' forum.

Here's another that many use http://www.photocamel.com/forum/

Diane

Rachel Foster

Thanks, Diane.

I do realize this is not that sort of forum, and I posted my "wish" mainly to squelch my urge to post inconsistent with the mission/culture of the board.

Michael Brown

Rachel,
I would suggest that if you truly would like to learn as much as you can about photography, well, ... there are some online forums that are good, but it is very hard to find one with individuals that will take their time and "truly" give you their honest opinion on what they are viewing, and suggestions on how you could possibly make that image better.
There are far to many "pats on the back" in these forums, with nothing much constructive most of the time.
(That's just my opinion)

Even though I don't get into this forum here at OPF as much as I would like to, (luckily, I'm busy as hell), I have always found individuals here who will step up to the plate and try to help that individual who is asking for their advice.
I find those "pats on the back" here, but usually it comes along with a discussion on the "why, how, when, what if, where," and more. This is what you need!

Find a place that you can put your images online, post the link to that image here at OPF in whichever forum that is acceptable, and start to learn.

In your posting, I sense a eagerness, ... which is wonderful.
Now, ..... jump in with both feet and "have at it"!

Gotta go,
Mike

Rachel Foster

Thank you Michael!

Truth is I love what I'm doing and I am having trouble containing my enthusiasm. I have a photobucket account, so I'll investigate the proper way to link that. (I truly want to follow the rules. Sometimes I feel like those little dogs who are so annoying because they're so enthusiastic.)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thank you Michael!

Truth is I love what I'm doing and I am having trouble containing my enthusiasm. I have a photobucket account, so I'll investigate the proper way to link that. (I truly want to follow the rules. Sometimes I feel like those little dogs who are so annoying because they're so enthusiastic.)

Hi Rachel,

I am going to use my contacts to send a wonderful calming cloud to rain just a little around you. Here's the reality. It would be foolish, IMHO to add yet another source of energy demands for yourself. You have all the pieces in place right now. A mentor, others helping you and the several current great threads, are organic stcuctures for your positive enthusiasm. Your blog is another positive effort, and should act as an escape valve.

Here's the secret. Select the best and cut down the demands on you.

Use any browser:

iPhoto, Lightroom, Bridge (free with CS), iview media pro or whatever to look at your shoot.

Ask your husband to help you classify the 100-400 pictures to pick keepers (~1/4 to ~1/10) then better (1/4) and now send 10-40 to your mentor. Now focus on the suggestions. When you have worked on that post the progress on your river or portrait thread as appropriate.

That's a huge amount of work. The only way you can get there is to throw away your photgraphic babies and put your energies into the survivors.

Asher

Rachel Foster

Good advice...the cloud is working.

Yes, I think you are right. I do have a mentor (or two!). People have been absolutely phenomenal in lending time and expertise in helping me; I'm humbled by the graciousness and generosity I've encountered in the photography community. Hopefully, I'll be able to do the same some day.

I did start a blog about my development as a photographer. Its primary purpose is to help me cognitively organize and add structure to the knowledge I need/encounter and lend a more systematic approach overall. If it helps others as they stumble along this path, or if it reminds old hands what it's like to be new, or if it just gives someone a chuckle, all to the better! It's also a great unofficial "gallery."

It's the sense of community and the people here who brought and keep me at OPF. Asher, you and the other core members have created an outstanding place for all who love photography. I'm deeply grateful OPF exists.

(Restraining urge to be flippant now...all this serious stuff.....whew!)

Last edited: