• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Recent Wildlife photos

Brian Lowe

I wanted to share a few photos taken on a recent trip to Panama. I have just started working on the wildlife shots I took while in Panama so I'll have more soon to share later.

C&C welcomed

Enjoy,
Brian

White faced monkeys greeting my arrival to Monkey Island, Panama (Soberania National Park)
196592039-L-1.jpg

Howler monkey, taken on the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute Island Panama.
197137187-L.jpg

Sorry, I don't know what bird this is so if someone can ID this for my I would appreciate it.

Bird taken on the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute Island Panama.
197130702-L.jpg

Sloth, Soberania National Park (old pipeline trail) Panama.
196608999-L-1.jpg

John_Nevill

Brian,

My first reaction to images 1 & 4, are they are too busy, but then I have to look at them in context. These are wild animals in their environment. Not staged, not caged, and not cared for (by a keeper).

This leads me to believe that I shoot far too many caged animals at wildlife parks, zoos and in private collections. Hence, one's images can tend to clinical in comparison.

So placing your images in context, I really like the first one, the little guy on the right is inqusitive and adds interest. I must confess that i'm still struggling with the Sloth, from a picture perspective, but the rarity of these is inspiring.

The second image has interest, yet would it work landscape or better still square format?

And finally, the bird, nice static pose, creamy bokeh and sharp, a gem!

janet Smith

pro member
Hello Brian

No's 2 & 3 work for me, you've captured perfectly the delicacy with which the Howler Monkey is getting the tasty new shoots, also the pin sharp bird is just beautiful.....did you use flash for this shot? and how close were you?

Brian Lowe

Hello John,

I agree 1&4 are busy but, I am in the wild in the rainforest. Imagine walking on a trail and looking up and seeing a sloth hanging from a tree or being in a boat and a monkey waving at you? What 1&4 are representing is what one would see on a hike or in a boat just amazing IMO. I saw this just about every day in Panama.

Thank you for the comments.

Brian

Brian Lowe

Hello Brian

No's 2 & 3 work for me, you've captured perfectly the delicacy with which the Howler Monkey is getting the tasty new shoots, also the pin sharp bird is just beautiful.....did you use flash for this shot? and how close were you?

Janet,

#2&3 were shot with a 1DMKIIn, 600mm f/4.0L and a 580EX flash with a "Better Beamer" attached to it.

-Brian-

Here I am with this setup in the rainforest.
194481831-M-2.jpg

And below is the photo I was taking when the above picture was snapped.

198246788-L.jpg

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the post and pix - looks like you had a very successful trip.

I have a question about your photo showing the gear set-up: I notice that you have the flash/BetterBeamer mounted off to the side, rather than directly over the lens. As far as I can remember, most people shoot with it directly over, so this got my attention.

It seems like there is at least some potential for your having it off to the side to further reduce the chance of red-eye and similar unwanted reflexes. Have you played around with both placements, and decided this worked best? Just curious, as I may have to try this out the next time I'm shooting.

Brian Lowe

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the post and pix - looks like you had a very successful trip.

I have a question about your photo showing the gear set-up: I notice that you have the flash/BetterBeamer mounted off to the side, rather than directly over the lens. As far as I can remember, most people shoot with it directly over, so this got my attention.

It seems like there is at least some potential for your having it off to the side to further reduce the chance of red-eye and similar unwanted reflexes. Have you played around with both placements, and decided this worked best? Just curious, as I may have to try this out the next time I'm shooting.

Hello Don,

I do have it mounted of to the side to decrease the red-eye effect when shooting with the BB. I leaned this from reading Arthur Morris's "The Art of Bird Photography II". He said this is the way he sets up his flash when shooting birds with a long lens. So I gave it a go and I do think it does help.

Don I know your a fan of Cost Rica I am too but, Panama IMO had more to offer. You should try to get down there sometime if you haven't already.

-Brian-

Arya Wiese

I like the first image but my eye goes directly to the corner where the little guy is peeking out of the corner. He is what I saw first them my eye went to the one standing and then my eye went right back to the corner. It really looks like you got alot from this trip. Thank you for sharing!