• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Help needed

I'm thinking of moving into large format mainly for human figure images but also to explore its possibilities. My price range is in the $1500ish region at this time. Not having experience with this format, I'm wary of taking the ebay-type buying route. There are some new "kits" advertised within the stated price range but I wonder about lens quality. Can someone give me advice on what to do.

Alain Briot

pro member
Michael,

I would go the ebay route, especially given your budget. $1500 is not a lot for new 4x5 equipment, provided you need everything (lenses, holders, camera, etc.)

There's great deals on 4x5 used, ebay or elsewhere, because many are selling their LF equipment to buy digital equipment. On the other hand, many schools require students to use film, so used film equipment is still in demand.

There's no way to tell you what to get without knowing more about your needs. It would be like saying "I want to get a sports car, what do you suggest?" There's too many models and brands. Plus the choices rests essentially on personal preferences.

Why don't you find some auctions on ebay that are of interest to you and post the link here. That way I can comment on the value, or lack of, of these auctions.

ALain

Ray West

Hi Michael,

I was thinking the same, some months ago, but with a much lower price target, wanting very much to build as much as possible. However, I came across Calumet (in the UK too). Maybe there is something here to suit you - sh kit well within your price range, and probably new too, depending on lens.

http://www.calumetphoto.com/Cameras/Film+Cameras/Film+Cameras/Large+Format/

I can't advise on quality, etc., never bought anything from them, and I've still not done any l/mf

Best wishes,

Ray

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Michael,

Others here have bought used from Will Thompson who's a nut on fixing LF cameras and putting new bellows combinging them etc. He's the guy as he's hones, the prices can't be beat and he's even goven one guy with no money a camera for free, although that can't be expected.

The lens you buy depends on what you want to shoot and stlye but you can get that from Will or Jack Flesher. Jack is more of a photography master and really knows LF well.

Of course you can by a new kit, but you will be happy with a great used package. Yor lens, if you wish can be bought separately. Nothing can be better than that1

Asher

Michael Fontana

pro member
I'd rather go for a LF 6x9 cm; todays films will give you the same quality as 4/5' some years ago.

A 6/9 is less in dimension and weight than a 4/5'; therefore it's easier to carry with.
You can use roll films, (120/220) which makes the entire handling - loading of planfilms, developement, etc, much easier.

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=137

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=121

Are both great deals with new cameras and a top quality lens (can you get much better for a modern 150mm?), film holders, lens board, cable release etc. Both are significantly under your budget. Badger is a great and very reputable company.

I have the Tachihara and it's a good camera with a wide range of movements. I'm sure that it wouldn't be tough enough for Alain but there are many pros using it.

If you go to the large format forum: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/index.php and read up on the lens board you will find just how cheap useable lenses can be. I bought 2 2nd hand lenses from Adorama, both Caltar II-N (rebadged rodenstock) for less than $500 apeice. If you are just starting then the brand new 150mm 'normal' lens should be enough to keep you going for a while.

Many thanks

Many thanks for the advice everyone. Information from knowledgeable photographers on the range of alternatives is invaluable and so much appreciated. I'm going to track down all the ideas and sources mentioned and keep you informed about progress.