• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Looking for some Pointers

DonThomas

Hello everyone, i have enjoyed lurking this past week and reading some of the threads. Alot of great tips!

Anyhow, I have actaully been asked to take alot of photos of local of national bands at a club my friend owns. I used to do alot of filming for him there, but he would like photos to showcase some of the artists at his club....As i am not very expierienced with concert photography. Could someone give me a few tips on settings i should work with this type of lighting.?

I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT
W/ the following 2 lens..
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 USM
Quantaray 70-300 mm f/4.0-5.6

Based on this. Is this decent enough to handle this job? I dont have any extra flashes at all...I kinda gather that shots are better off without the flash at a higher ISO, even though they would be a big more grainy... Thoughts anyone?

Thank You,
Don

Diane Fields

Don, I've never done any concert shooting but have shot a number of times in very low light mgf. plants with lots of action. I really think you need a faster lens--f/2.8 zoom orf/1.8 or 1.4 in some focal length prime--its going to depend upon how close you are to the action--plus the higher ISO.

Steve Mitchell who shoots a ton of concerts plus sports all the time said his last shoot at Austin City Limits where he covered the festival was a 70-200 f/2.8 and the 24-70 f/2.8L. A fast prime would get you there more cheaply--IF the distance was about the same the whole concert.
Here's a link to his site to get an idea of what he's up against.
http://www.musicpix.net/index.php?module=PostWrap&page=Austin_City_Limits_Photos

I know others will chime in here--but there isn't any question you will have problems in a club without faster lenses.

Good luck,
Diane

Don,
you need a bit faster glass than that.
I second 50/1.8 suggestion - best bang for the buck.
Also find out if you can use external off camera flash, in which case about $700 can buy you a great light.
In any case don't be afraid of using high ISO, going as high as 3200. As they say, the only shots you totally screw up are those you didn't take:)

Alain Briot

pro member
I think you have all you need. In fact, the setup you have is great and will allow you to work just about any subject with a complete assortment of shots.

Adding a 50 / 1.8 is highly recommended given the low cost vs. lens quality and speed that it will give you.

Personally, I wouldn't use a flash. I'd just raise the ISO until I get the speed I need. FYI, the minimum shutter speed should be roughly equal to the focal length you use to prevent camera shake (for example 1/30th when using a 28mm).

DonThomas

WOW!! i cant think you all enough for your responses.. I have searched so many forums for people with insights.. Alot of forums were either dead or wanted $$ to join....The $80 sure fits my own budget for now!

What type of settings should i use with my current setup. I am guessing most of my subjects will be within 5-20ft from me, depending on where i am positioned at or if i can move around..

That Quantaray 70-300 mm f/4.0-5.6 i have seems pretty cool, i paid about $75 for that, but i would prolly only use that during a national bands show since their stage setup is bigger and further back...

I will look into this 50 / 1.8 .. Anyone have any links to where i can purchase it?

Matt Suess

pro member
Don,

Having shot a number of concerts in my photojournalism days, I can give you this advice:

The faster your lens, the better. You may have a hard time with the lenses you have. A faster lens is going to let you shoot at a lower ISO, shoot at a faster shutter speed, and allow either yourself or your camera to focus easier.

You should definitely shoot in RAW and set color balance to daylight. You can always change the color balance later, but it gives a fixed starting point when editing your shoot. If you leave it to AWB, things get real crazy because of the different colored lights that will be hitting your subject - your camera will always be (incorrectly) trying to change the color. Leave it in daylight, and adjust in RAW software later if needed.

Exposure - gonna be tricky if the lights are always changing. Usually an auto setting doesn't work well, because background is usually dark and subject has spotlights, and the light intensity is always changing. Try auto, but keep checking that histogram - very easy to blow out the highlights. Switch to manual if needed.

And I agree - don't use a flash. You can get real creative with the lighting with the spotlights and dark backgrounds. And if it's at a larger venue - they won't allow flashes anyways.

DonThomas

Did some messing around over the weekend..........thanks again for all the tips! Even though this camera is only 10 months old or something. I think i could probably sell it, use the $ from that and then make up the difference and get an upgrade to this model...