• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

More 40D portraits

Or

What Can You Do In 45 minutes At Your Own Tiny Backyard If You Have A Camera, A Flash And A Willing Model.

#1: I love the backlighting:

199689459-L.jpg

#2: It's not always necessary to look directly into the camera:

199689719-L.jpg

#3: Why not to use the props themselves as a part of the image:

199690103-L.jpg

#4: Don't even start talking about "the second eye's not showing" ;-)

199690175-L.jpg

More here: http://nik.smugmug.com/gallery/3531457

All taken with Canon 40D + 17-55/2.8 + one/two Sunpak Auto 555EX flash units (PW controlled), handheld, full manual at f/4 and 1/125s.
The ambient light was within 1/2..1 f/stop from the flash (I used my el cheapo Sekonic)

During the 45 minutes we had a few wardrobe changes and moved around 6-8 spots (all within few feet of each other).

Enjoy!

Barry Johnston

I like...

Hello Nik,
I must say I really like these shots. The model seems somewhat relaxed which is great, and the colours are also rich and warm. I see that you used a 17-55 lens; is that an EF-S lens....??
I was fortunate enough to buy myself a 16-35mm II this morning, so I can wait to use it. I'm flying up to Queensland this afternoon so I'm sure I'll get the opportunity to use it then.... Can't wait !!

Regards,
Barry.

Ron Morse

Nice shots Nik. You had a good idea in #3.
Your daughter is an attractive young lady.
I wish my daughter was as willing. She hates her picture taken unless their is a horse in the picture.

Barry Johnston

Hi Nik...

Hello Nik, I didn't realise the young lady was your daughter..... she is beautiful and you must be very proud.

I think the only adjustment I would have made would be to shoot the ducks off the wall in the last photo. :)

Regards,
Barry.

Ron,

Nice shots Nik. You had a good idea in #3.
Your daughter is an attractive young lady.
I wish my daughter was as willing. She hates her picture taken unless their is a horse in the picture.
Thank you!
My other one doesn't let me take her pictures at all, so I know what you're talking about...:)

Hello Nik, I didn't realise the young lady was your daughter..... she is beautiful and you must be very proud.

I think the only adjustment I would have made would be to shoot the ducks off the wall in the last photo. :)

Regards,
Barry.

No problem:)
The ducks are kinda important for our family, hence the reason I included them into the frame in the first place :)
Cheers!

Todd harrison

Thats some interesting shots!

The 40D ha I've been waiting to get this camera. I really excited about it. great shots for sure. I can't wait to get mine now. Hopefully I'll be getting it soon. ahh So many new featuress I excited I sure you can tell. great camera!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Nikolai,

My vote is for #4 with you beautiful model in the raincoat. It still allows her the young girl look and so is more personal. I'm not refering to composition lighting just the person in the picture acting tough!

Congrats on the camera. Will Thompson loved it so much he returned it for a 1DIII!

OTOH, the 1DIII can't flip from live view to optical view through the lens and AF easily.

So a question, have you found live view practical for you in portraits and have you used the 10x zoom to check for focus or you are focusing as before?

Asher

Asher,
thank you very much, it's great to hear from you (as always:)!

I have indeed had a chance to use the Live View in a few occasions, such as: low light landscape shooting, low angle shooting, "over the heads" shooting and candid shooting (the last one along with Silent 2 mode). I'd say regular portrait shooting is not the reason to use the LV, so I can't advise on 10x zoom focusing. I can see, however, that it can be totally practical for macro/stock photography.

HTH