• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Messages to Rodney Sheldon

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi OPF fellows,
in another thread Asher gave us some good news of Rodney, asking/proposing to send him some postcards to help Rodney to fight his loneliness.

Digging to get the complete postal address, I found the possibility to send direct message thru the MD Anderson Hospital web page.
But they do ask some real confidential informations that cannot be publicised here…

For those like me who are geographically far from Rodney it may be easier and faster to send him messages.
Of course a real postal card is a better and stronger medium for such messages, but it is not forbidden to use both ways to reach Rodney.

So, please post your message hereafter and Asher will forward it!
But messages only! this thread is for message to Rodney only, discussions or suggestions may be posted in other or new threads. Thank you!

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
OK, here's my message to Rodney

Bonjour Rodney
In OPF, Asher did bring us some good news from your recovery…
I, We, are so glad, I know that your battle against the beast is somewhat unimaginable, that Doctors and Surgeons did make admirable "work" on your body. But, without your strong will, nothing good could have happen…

I never had Cancer but have been close-by some family members who did (one is still battling now too with ups and downs - now up :) and I therefore know that if someone can beat the beast, it's you. You obviously had the best Doctors (and Asher!!!) then every needs are there to win the battle.

Please find here the warmest and friendlyest accolade from a French guy in Bordeaux (France) who shares with you one most important luck:
Asher's friendlyness.
The friends of my friend are my friends. So you are!

I am seriously waiting that you recover enough to use again your Leica and hopefully post some image here in OPF.

We're waiting for you.

PS should you wish so, ask Asher my email so we can chat direcltly… I'll may talk to you about boats, sea, sky, sea-sprays, sun in the eye and salted water… photography, some of the things that make me love the life and our Planet.

PS 2 For the first and only time before long, I've dropped an Icon to a message…

Last edited:

Rachel Foster

Hello and best wishes for a smooth recovery. Being ill is difficult, but being ill away from family and friends is even more so.

I look forward to seeing photos when you're back up and around.

Rachel

janet Smith

pro member
Get Well!!!! from Yorkshire, UK

Hello Rodney

What a rotten time you're having, but remember those imortal words "this too will pass"......

My Mum used to say to me when I was a little girl about to start school, worried because I didn't know anyone at the school I was going to "a stranger is just a friend you haven't made yet"....... There are a lot of us out here who fall into that category, strangers just waiting to be friends and looking forward to chatting with you here on OPF.....

I used to work with Macamillan Cancer Support here in the UK, and saw many fantastic recoveries, never give up hope, hang on in there, and look forward to gentler times.....

If you're really bored one day, have a look at my website and let me know what you think (good or bad) there's a picture of me and my really funny dog on there, she's half boxer half dachshund, don't know if you're into dogs, but she's definately a one off!

Anyway, I and my family (I asked my husband Paul if he could think of a good joke for you, but none of them was repeatable!!) send you our positive thoughts for a speedy recovery.......GET WELL SOON

Cem_Usakligil

All the best wishes, get well soon!

Hi Rodney,

As I wrote in another thread before, I'd like to wish you all the luck you can get and I hope that you'll premanently recover soon. Just hang in there.

Best regards,

Cem Usakligil

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Lots of good thoughts coming your way

Rodney,

We're all here pulling for you to get well quickly - lot's of good wishes coming your way from all of us here at OPF!

Many years ago I had an aquarium with some small orange and black fish called Clown Loaches. They were my favorite in the tank. But they were sensitive to having the water temperature be stable and they would get a fish disease that would leave them with white spots called "ICK". We'd put medicine drops in the tank and the "Ick" could go away. I'd talk to them, as if they understood and I would say "You fight little loach". That became a common phrase in our house when ever someone got sick.

So to you, Rodney - "You Fight Little Loach". Get back behind the lenses quickly.

xoxoxo,
Kathy

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Send your good wishes, he's now awake!

An update,

Rodney is now off the respirator. He is writing his thoughts as he has some plastic form in his mouth to make sure everything heals in the right position. So far things are good as the graft of tissue from his thigh is beautifully joined to his left neck and is an impressive feat of technical brillians and plastic surgery beauty.

His friend Marlyin is by his side reporting to him on the outside world. She is printing out your notes and reading them to him. He needs all the external feedback we can give!

Thanks for helping him, even though he shoots Leica! (Envy!!, LOL)

Asber

Asher Kelman

Thanks Rachel for your kind question!

Rodney had a setback in whci a portion of the surgical bed had a collection of blood that got infected and bust open. A major cause of bad breath that mints do not hide!

So he had to have another surgery, pull apart his face and fix it with muscle from his pectoralis slipped under his clavicle, antiobiotics and "hey presto", "abra kedabra" (hebrew "you'll see as I have spoken", he is healing and out of danger and talking again, albeit with a tired voice!

Amazing how people can get hit again when they are gettting themselves up from a bad event in their life and think they are home and safe! It's like a test "O.K., big guy, so how much can you take before you give up?" "Try this one" and the person is knocked down again. !

That reminds me, I'll phone him again today. I'm bad and I get involved with my stuff and days slip by.

He is healing and has a good friend nearby!

Again thanks everyone for your kind thought and messages to him!

Asher

Rachel Foster

Asher, please tell him a stranger in Michigan is thinking of him and rooting for him. Same address for cards? I feel another flower photo coming on.

Asher Kelman

Thanks,

He said that all you guys who have wished him well are a great source of happiness and encouragement. He has a very positive attitude but is week. His son, who has all his Leicas now, has been visiting over the weekend and that was so good. He'll be going over his son's wedding pictures shortly!

Asher

Rachel Foster

Update, Asher?

A flower for Rodney, in case he could use a smile.

084.jpg

Asher Kelman

Rachel,

Your sentiments are ours! Good news is that Rodney is an amazing guy and finds strength by mining very deep to levels one can hardly imagine. He is now out of hospital but not yet released to leave the hospital services for another few days! Hpefully he's return to Los Angeles for Thanksgiving.

Photographs do have built in to them libraries of sentiments. Thanks Rachel for the simple gesture.

Asher