• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

1st time Tourist to New York

John Harper

Hi There

Well i just got back from my holiday to New York & Las Vegas. It was my first visit to New York and I thought i would post 4 pictures from a 1st time tourists point of view.

Now as regular viewers will be aware i don't usually shoot these sort of pictures, preferring instead birds in flight and airshows, so i was out of my comfort zone here, but thought i should have a go at some more stationary subjects

Anyhow comments and critiques welcome as always.

John

Shot 1 was taken on a Circle line boat tour around Manhattan island - EOS 1DMKIIN EF 70-200 F2.8L @ 200mm ISO 200 1/400 @ F4

red.jpg

Shot 2 was taken from Ground level by Grand Central Station looking up at the Chrysler Building - EOS 1DMKIIN EF 70-200 F2.8L @ 200mm ISO 200 1/400 @ F5.6

chrysler.jpg

Shot 3 was taken from The Observation deck of the Empire State Building - EOS 1DMKIIN EF 70-200 F2.8L @ 200mm ISO 200 1/800 @ F5.6

taxi.jpg

Shot 4 was taken from The Observation deck of the Rockefeller Centre - EOS 1DMKIIN EF 24-105 F4L @ 35mm ISO 800 1/10 @ F4

topoftheroc.jpg

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Love those

Oh, NYC is one of my favorite places to go, if just to fill up on the energy there. The Circle Line is a great way to see the city view from a distance. We also like to do the hop-on hop-off buses.

How did you get the shots from the top of the Empire State Building without the chain link fence in it? Did the lens fit through? These seem quite sharp.

Did you take any of Las Vegas?

Cem_Usakligil

Hi John,

I agree with Kathy; love those!

The last time I have been to NY was in the analogue era so I haven't got any immediate ones to share here. Even if I had, those would possibly pale next to the great ones you've taken.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

John Harper

Oh, NYC is one of my favorite places to go, if just to fill up on the energy there. The Circle Line is a great way to see the city view from a distance. We also like to do the hop-on hop-off buses.

How did you get the shots from the top of the Empire State Building without the chain link fence in it? Did the lens fit through? These seem quite sharp.

Did you take any of Las Vegas?

Hi Kathy

Thanks for looking.. and yes the shots from the Empire State building were with the front of the lens pushed through the fencing. The panels are triangular in shape so if you get towards one end its not too constricting... but i did have to take the lens hood off.

The one from the top of the Rockefeller Centre, is out in the open but you are back from the buildings edge. You can get to a lower level at the edge of the building but that has laminated glass panels with about 77mm wide gaps between to shoot through.

I did shoot some shots in Vegas and i will be posting those in another thread shortly.

John

John Harper

Hi John,

I agree with Kathy; love those!

The last time I have been to NY was in the analogue era so I haven't got any immediate ones to share here. Even if I had, those would possibly pale next to the great ones you've taken.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Hi Cem

Thank you for your comments, having seen your nightime panorama shots of Rotterdam i thought i would have a go at shooting some at sunset and at night. I had not taken a tripod with me so i upped the ISO to 800 and shot handheld.

The 24-105 has IS but i found that much below an 1/8th of a second those shots were looking pretty shaky, but overall i was pleased with the evening shots.

John