• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Playing around in renovated studio part 1

nyschulte

First time playing around within renovated studio. Some ideas seen on Frank's latest DVD, some classical lighting

BIG Elinchrom Octa behind model as unique lightsource
_D223832.jpg

_D223834.jpg

_D223845.jpg

part 2 coming ...

Nicolas

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Nicolas,

Firstly, thanks for sharing these (also the ones in thread number 2).
I have been following the on-going development of your studio talent ever since you've started posting here. Good news is, to my naive eyes it seems to be improving.

I don't do any studio photography myself so I do not comment much in this area. Since no one else has reacted so far, I have decided to chime in for now.

The problem I'm having here is the fact that I do not like the kind of studio pictures you show here. This is in no way meant as an insult to you as a professional, it is just that the genre is not my thing. That makes it even more difficult delivering an objective C&C (on the emotional side at least). So that leaves me the technicalities.

I personally find that your images in general are way too dark. I assume that this is your intentional choice, so it is OK. It looks as if on the third one, the backlight is overdone.
Lastly, I can see that you do some PS retouching to get the skin smooth but it looks a bit plasticky to my eyes.

So please excuse me for my amateurish C&C , I just hate it when a poster gets no reactions.
As I said at the beginning, even I can see that you have been improving and learning and that is what really matters <smile>

Cheers,

nyschulte

Thank you for your comments, Cem.

For the pictures 1, 2 and 3 i tried a new thing i have seen on the latest DVD from Frank Doorhof.
So this is completely new to me, but i did like the idea so much that i gave it a try.

I am rather an enthusiastic amateur (with too much money and too much time :) ) as photography is not my money making occupation.

For the skin retouching there is so much lost when resizing for the web. I do miss the sharpening part in my workflow.

When i converted a room into a studio over a year ago all i did was only installing technical equipment into a living room. With that setup i got so much spill light that i was not able to have the 'perfect' dark background. With the current transformation of the studio, i do not have that spill any more, so the pictures are even darker. So i have to find my marks again by adding lights for the background. But otherwise YES, i DO like the darker mood.

As i 'go by the feeling' there is no amateurish comment, Cem.

Whitin a session i show the result very often. So i can adjust to the liking of the model. I can only say that she liked the results very much.

Regards,

Nicolas

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Cem,

Let me mention direction!

Ultimately the plastic should go to porcelain. Part of the issue is the evenness of the ultimate skin effects we see in Vogue or in the finest store "Books" like from Saks Fifth Avenue.

In Nicolas' work, the skin still has areas which are un-touched relativly and occaionally we see a ripple effect so that calls attention to itself. I have mentioned that his images have his "look" and know he has further to go, but I do know where he's heading.

In glamor, fashion and boudoir, women are not looking for what they can find in the mirror or across a coffe tablle with other women. Men aee not looking for the women they sleep with and who hands them dinner (if they are so lucky) but rather a woman of fantasy, like the sexualized women in veils (of the "Arabian Nights" (which has no basis at all in fact, as no women in the Orient are like that and are certainly not waiting for any Joe Smith to come along and sweep them away abive the minarets on a flying horse or magic carpet)!

I photograph as people "are" except in formal art where my work is metaphorical. I do however like perfectly rendered figure and glamor photography and this work of Nicolas Schulte shows the effort is not triivial to make it all apppear natural and real!

My approach is to always leave and come back and then sblend what I considered perfect back with my original. That's painful, for sure, but bring back life.

Asher