• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Playing around in renovated studio part 2

nyschulte

First time playing around within renovated studio. Some ideas seen on Frank's latest DVD, some classical lighting

2 light setup: Octa as main light, strip light as accent light
_D223897.jpg

_D223917_la.jpg

Same 2 light setup , selenium toned in lightroom, postprocessed with Lucis Art
_D223865_la.jpg

Nicolas

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Nicolas,

What a great way to start off! She has good strong attitude! These pictures all show your signature skin processing but you missed some blemishes in the forehead in photograph #3.

It's important that have a model who's figure works with the poses you need for the picture. A girl with skinny thighs and legs is very tough to use in revealing work unless you want the "waif" look. This is where one really has to be brutal with oneself: dont settle for someone just because they are a friend or free or available. you chose well!!

How much space do you have and how close is she to the Octa? For people who don't shoot with your gear, maybe you could add the model numbers and even if handy a picture so we can see the setup!

Will Thompson, who's a genius at using the cheapest and oldest ideas, get really wonderful light by his collection of Normans and I know he loves side lighting with strip lights too. He doesn't have anyting like your octa but does well!

BTW, is that your "wardrobe" or do you get the clolthes on consignment from designers?

I wanted to like the 3rd shot more and knew it is realy a photograph that could entice me to have it printed! However, I struggled since you posted it wondering what toubled me. I now feel that you are playing off the areas of strong interest: her eyes, the lines (hair, bridge of nose) gently pulling our attention first to the sensuous full lips then via the full and generous pendant and thin straps of her dress to her breasts.

_D223865_la_AK.jpg

© Nicolas Schulte 2007

With that realization, the top of her head is no longer necessary! Voila the image is now more intimate, closer, confrontational and therefore stronger, at least to me!

BTW, do you have a window there?

Thanks for letting us into your studio!

Asher

Looking great.
The crop from Asher is a bit too low in my opinion.

Love the toning and light, well done.
You will love the new studio and it will boost your work.

Greetings,
Frank

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Looking great.
The crop from Asher is a bit too low in my opinion.

Frank,

Too low a crop? Maybe a tiny tad, that's all! However, I can see that it might appear to be too low. When however, such a picture isset behind a thick matte, the girl will be looking through that space.

When seeing the same photograph on a flat screen, it can appear harsh. I think of printing pictures and putting them on walls, each person, as it were, looking back at us through windows.

If one does magazine work, I'm sure the esthetics demand differently. Anyway that's my own sense of the matter. It seems to me that where one uses the picture might alter the crop.

But do you agree on the general idea of the crop or would you have left it as is?

asher

nyschulte

Hi Asher,

Well the new studio is nice. It is the same room, only depth has been increased by taking down a wall.

So dimensions are : 4.3m width, 5.3m depth, 2.8m height
2 walls and ceiling painted mat black. The wall where i shoot from, the dressing space and the computer place are painted 12% gray
There is a big windows covering 75% of a side wall, but it is darkened when i shoot.

I did not yet use a seamless paper. These were all done against a black wall or against the octa. When doing half body shots and closer i will not need the seamless, so i expect to reduce the consumption of black seamless to 20% .

for #3, the only thing i did not want to go as smooth as #4, so it was done on purpouse. I am still missing a makeup artist. This will become a limiting factor in a close future. I thought at several moments to do the makeup myself, but i want to keep my focus on photography.

For the setup of these shots i can only recommend Frank's last DVD, as everything is explained in there :)

For the wardrobe, i must confess that i have a certain style and number of 'alternatives' for the models (from shirts, tops, lingerie, bikini's, hats, accessories). The are renewed on a rotational scheme by selling them of to the models at a fair price. It happens as well that a model falls in love with one piece so it gets sold immediately.
I leave the choice to the models but offer this 'service' mostly when they come in for a second session. I do have some special conditions, as i go only for some brands. I do as well get informed when new things come in :)

For this 'test' session i asked Lyn to pose and i think that it shows that both of us were in a darker mood.

I will play tonight with the crop, but as far i can check now, i may crop to the hair or even just above the ear.

While experimenting, prints on canvas come out nicely. This is a whole new story as i have no clue on framing these.

I will play with more setups from Frank's DVD in the comming weeks.

Word of mouth starts to work so well that i have at least 6 weeks wait time when limiting to 3 sessions a week.

Nicolas